What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

difference?

davidtxs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MY 85 YOmom wants an ipad for email solitare etc. Nothing more than that.wll thebasic model ddo that (the 499 model or the 699 model???

thanks

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MY 85 YOmom wants an ipad for email solitare etc. Nothing more than that.wll thebasic model ddo that (the 499 model or the 699 model???

thanks
Welcome to the forum!

I'm a huge fan and evangelist when it comes to the iPad, however to be honest, if all your mom wants to do is play a few games and read email, the iPad may be overkill. You might have a look at the new Kindle Fire from Amazon. Having said that, if she isn't going to want to load up a lot of music, photos or movies, or have 3G capabilities, the 16GB Wi-Fi only ($499) iPad should be fine.

There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Welcome again and enjoy!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the 16gb would be just fine for your mom!! Kudos to her for keeping up with technology! There are ton of solitaire type games available in the app store, she will definitely live it. Regarding email-easy set-up. You will have it going for her in no time. Even if she would like to put photos or some music on it, the 16gb would still be adequate in my opinion. I am thinking of buying my mom an iPad also-16gb as well. Took her to Best buy to play with the kindle fire, nook tablet and the iPad. She really liked the fire the most, since she has a kindle already and is familiar with it. Still do not know which to get at this point!! Good luck!!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the 16gb would be just fine for your mom!! Kudos to her for keeping up with technology! There are ton of solitaire type games available in the app store, she will definitely live it. Regarding email-easy set-up. You will have it going for her in no time. Even if she would like to put photos or some music on it, the 16gb would still be adequate in my opinion. I am thinking of buying my mom an iPad also-16gb as well. Took her to Best buy to play with the kindle fire, nook tablet and the iPad. She really liked the fire the most, since she has a kindle already and is familiar with it. Still do not know which to get at this point!! Good luck!!

As far as the OP's question, I think there's little doubt that a 16GB model of the iPad is more than sufficient. The more important question is whether she needs/wants a 3G model. And that depends upon (a) whether she has a wifi network in her home and (b) whether she is likely to be using the iPad in other spots where wifi is not readily available. If she does not have access to a wifi signal in her home, a 3G model is a good investment. But so is a wired connection and wifi set up in her home. Take your choice.

As for skimonkey, listen to your mother. In the first place, the biggest single challenge to enjoying devices like these (especially for the techno-nervous) is overcoming the initial "I-might-break-it" reaction. If your Mom likes the Kindle, get the Fire. If she finds it less than satisfactory, you can return it to Amazon easily. Second, I think we males are prone to ignore the widespread preference many women have for the smaller form factor of the Kindle devices. My wife likes the iPad but she LOVES her Kindle. It just "feels" right to her. Unless you think the Kindle Fire lacks features your mom would really enjoy, (e.g.the camera), save the money. Better to upgrade her to an iPad than have her feel she doesn't really use the features of such a thoughtful gift from her son.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, jsh1120! I agree with your recommendation. I had to go full circle to see what my mom preferred and not what I wanted her to have! It is always nice to hear an expert opinion. Much appreciate it! :D

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Thanks, jsh1120! I agree with your recommendation. I had to go full circle to see what my mom preferred and not what I wanted her to have! It is always nice to hear an expert opinion. Much appreciate it! :D

I am happy for your mom that she is even interested in the iPad at all. It will keep her brain active at her age.

Sent from my Tricked Out, Sparkly Pink Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF

Most reactions