What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did the iPad disapoint you?

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HTML 5 will take care of the video issue regarding flash in the future, and youtube will be using h.264 (I think is what it is) so it should be fine (although Google is a company built on open source, their neglect for using ogg vorbis may hinder them, and pave a new path for a video site to compete with them using open and unrestrictive standards).

As for flash everywhere else? Totally missed. Don't know why they didn't do this. Yet also, lack of a camera is a big downer for me. I would like to have a file system to keep my stuff organized (which means a SD card reader and at least one USB port would be a very nice addition).

True, iChat would be an epic quality for the ipad. But, i saw the way they store pictures on it and thats pretty cool.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to say that all in all, it is not as impressive or ground breaking as I was hoping. But having said that, I am still excited and will be getting one. It's just nearly impossible for them to live up to the internet's hype... and with time, it may turn out to exceed the hype, we just need a few more killer apps for it.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to say that all in all, it is not as impressive or ground breaking as I was hoping. But having said that, I am still excited and will be getting one. It's just nearly impossible for them to live up to the internet's hype... and with time, it may turn out to exceed the hype, we just need a few more killer apps for it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eVCFXxgn2M]YouTube - iPad: Steve Jobs presents Apple's new tablet[/ame]

Looks great IMO.

ken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many people is expecting an webcam for the iPad. I had a webcam on my PC but I can't recall using it at all. If we use iPad the way it was designed for, I do not think the webcam is a necessity at all. It would be a good option though.

Firehazel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was not disappointed. It's about what I expected. I just want something that can get online, get to YouTube, playback a bit of music and some video.
To me, this is a godsend.The fact it has 3G is pretty awesome.:D

I think that the problem is that people where expecting more Macbook, less iPhone, and got the opposite. They also expected it to compete with netbooks, which I don't think it's trying to do.

And on a side note: Do you care that it has a camera? I don't. It's not really necessary Who even uses video chat extensively anyway?

iPadder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steve Jobs was demonstrating almost rhythmically the ease of handling the iPad. Its large multi-touch screen is going to be great for reading emails, news and ebooks. Accessing web content from wherever you might be positioned (i.e. an iPhone) might turn out to be a very satisfying experience. Audio and video, the Calendar and Contacts, iTunes and iBooks, and the Apps all on a device that can be used in many situations with little or no compromises to comfort. The potential for personal and commercial creative applications for this device seem promising. The iPad's pre-released design and features seem to have at least met but probably exceeded my expectations, even more so than the smart iPhone.

terry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could say I'm a little pissed. The competition is the same size, has a ton more features, and is roughly the same price. Oh well, good chance to break free of teh oh so crappy itunes.

fasteddie760

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Disappoint? ABSOLUTELY!!!

No speaker
No microphone
No USB
No Flash
No Multi-tasking
No GPS
No SD card reader (i'm not surprised about this one)
ect..... the list goes on and on.

It's not even a glorified iphone or iod touch! Even the ipod nano @ $149 has a speaker and video camera!

This ipad does alot less than my Android phone does, or even my 2 yr old Blackberry. What a shame! I would have waited in line to purchase one of these. Maybe Apple will get it together on the 3rd or 4th generation - lol.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, please read over the specs before you start bashing it. It has a speaker, it's available with GPS, and you can USB via a connector if you really need it.

iVegas702

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has turned out to be an interesting debate. I have read through all the responses and I feel that no matter what Steve or Apple did it will not fit everyone. So I am going to try to understand and learn a few things.

I am not sure and maybe some one can give me an example of why the ipad needs HDMI output. Maybe it is just me but the ipad is not a player like that. I have, as most people do, either a good DVD or Blur Ray player with a 1080i TV for that. I could not think of an example of when I would say let download a movie to the ipad and watch it on TV. There is a flood of them out there. The macbooks don't have HDMI.

Flash. I understand the flash issue, but I think that there is something going to happen in the near further with flash. The new HDML 5 and h.264 might change all that. I heard Steve in an interview that "adobe is lazy." I think that he is maybe working on something else and this might be a platform for that. What little web surfing I do on my iphone has not bothered me that it does not have flash. Youtube worked around it and I think more will soon.

Camera. I have taken video and pictures with my iphone and its great. I can't see myself holding up an ipad and taking pictures. As for video conference how many out there have used their mac books for that? I was a PC user for ever and my brother was a Mac guy. Ford vs Chevy etc. I got tired of the virus and spam problems that I went and got the iMac. I love it. We used ichat for a while and it was ok but seeing his wife in her robe in the background was just not right. I don't see people sitting at starbucks or Barns and Noble doing video chat with a macbook, PC laptop or a netbook ever. Maybe you will be able to attach a camera later and use a app for it.

SD Reader. From watching the keynote it has that. He sated that you can download pictures from you camera or SD card to the ipad. If that is the case you should be able to go from the ipad to the SD card as well. What are some examples of people needing the SD card reader for, other than downloading pictures. Just wondering?

kbregnar wrote:

"Swing and a miss. This definitely disappoints me. I was thinking it would have a lot more features than it does. It none of the mobility features I completely depend on with my iPhone and has not nearly the same capability I can get from a netbook that is running a full version of Win7 for much less money."

Other than a phone the ipad does just about everything the iphone does now. As for the netbook with windows having full capability, if that is what people were expecting than why build it. The netbooks are not selling. If they were so great and do flash, HDMI, multi-tasking SD reading, than why are you not buying them. There are a lot of them out there on the market now. Steve knows that they have not sold and if the ipad as made to be like them than why have the macbook. Build a netbook like that and you don't need the macbook. Not smart marking. Just my thought...

As for the light duty photo editing. There are apps out there that do some of that. They are limited by the iphone size. But there will be a new creative rush of apps coming out to use the speed and ability of the ipad.

Multi-tasking. Well I have my iMac set up with a second monitor because I love to do many things at once, I have the room and the CPU for it. On the iphone I can play most of the app games I have while I listen to music. I can surf the web, read a book, look on google. So I guess I am missing something, what type of multi-tasking are you trying to do and how do you do it on such a small screen. I know people love to multi task I see them drive and text all the time.

Sorry for the long winded response but I was not able to answer all of them one at a time. I enjoy this forum I am learning a lot here.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts