What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diabetic exercise programs

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To get things started, I thought it might be a good idea to discuss some of the ways that a diabetic can get more exercise. Some hints and suggestions of what works and what doesn't.

For example, consider spending time training your dog. You would be surprised at how much effort goes into a good dog obedience training session. It is good for both pet and master.

iPad2needhelp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is what I do go for a two hour walk before I watch the Biggest Loser Club on Tuesday evenings. Gotta walk to earn watching BLC. :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another option is to exercise in a pool. The buoyant environment is ideal for those who want to exercise, but cannot tolerate exercising on land due to other joint related problems.

For my husband who is diabetic, he walks 6 miles on the golf course twice a week and also tries to do some form of weight training at the gym 2 times a week as well.

Sometimes it is difficult for him to do this with his travel schedule, so he travels with some resistive bands and exercise tubes to do his exercise while on the road.

So there are lot of ways to exercise, it just the time to set aside to do it!

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I would walk two miles to avoid BLC. I cannot describe how much I hate those reality shows. That and pre-empting a favorite show for some dumb special or another show they are trying to salvage. I was all set to watch a rerun of Castle when they show that new show Scandal. I did get in some good exercise blowing off a good head of steam though.

this man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw this documentary from the BBC on Youtube about High Intensity Training and other things to do with exercise. As always you should consult your doctor before trying these things.

Last edited by a moderator:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This Man... Thanks for posting this...starting viewing about 10 minutes of this and looks very interesting!

Thanks for sharing this.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Weight lifting or strength training is great for a diabetic, especially a type 2. Combined with a suitable cardio program and diet (as in quit eating tooo many carbs) one can work wonders, assuming that is still beta-cell function within the pancreas.

SKP1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Diabetics can gain many benefits by walking on a daily basis. Is there an iPad application which allows users to log the time they spent walking as well as the distance? Thanks for sharing!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Carbs is a huge factor and no-no for people managing diabetes. While some may be allowed 40 grams of carbs/meal...another person may only be allowed 25 grams.

Get this:
6 triscuit crackers = 20 g
1 slice of 100% whole grain toast = 18 g
2 Tb of light Ranch Dressing = 3g

So as you can see...these carbs can quickly add up to what a person should eat based on their DM needs and managing.

...and yes, exercise...any form of it done done regularly is good all the way around..for all us, really.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SKP1001 said:
Diabetics can gain many benefits by walking on a daily basis. Is there an iPad application which allows users to log the time they spent walking as well as the distance? Thanks for sharing!

SKP...I have been looking into this one for some time..but haven't yet. You can log your miles and if you want...post the miles to your Facebook page.

image-3604385928.jpg

Also, I have a Pedometer app on my iPod which is useful. It will convert the steps to distance which is really fun to see. There are a lot of free ones in the App store to choose from.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Carbs is a huge factor and no-no for people managing diabetes. While some may be allowed 40 grams of carbs/meal...another person may only be allowed 25 grams.

Get this:
6 triscuit crackers = 20 g
1 slice of 100% whole grain toast = 18 g
2 Tb of light Ranch Dressing = 3g

So as you can see...these carbs can quickly add up to what a person should eat based on their DM needs and managing.

...and yes, exercise...any form of it done done regularly is good all the way around..for all us, really.

Absolutely. I'm been a T2 since I was 23...I'm 54 now...no symptoms and I test out as a non-diabetic person (these days). Diet and exercise are the key...and it is amazing what can be done by diet alone, too. I always point that out to people because sometimes it is hard to get both going at once....

Last edited by a moderator:

this man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This Man... Thanks for posting this...starting viewing about 10 minutes of this and looks very interesting!

Thanks for sharing this.

As it seems fairly new research (although I'm not sure what year the program was made) you'd probably want to check it with other sources to see if it's being supported or not. To be fair it does seem very interesting. I might talk to my doctor about it the next time I see him.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As it seems fairly new research (although I'm not sure what year the program was made) you'd probably want to check it with other sources to see if it's being supported or not. To be fair it does seem very interesting. I might talk to my doctor about it the next time I see him.

Yes--i agree to always speak to your qualified healtcare professional who can address your specific medical needs. That way, it's a customized fit and not one that is a generic program. Often times that is what creates injury for patient that come and see me. That is, performing an exercise program that is too high level for them. As with any new topic...all regimes, outcomes--must go thru test and re-testing to ensure that the validity and reliability is present and reproducible.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely. I'm been a T2 since I was 23...I'm 54 now...no symptoms and I test out as a non-diabetic person (these days). Diet and exercise are the key...and it is amazing what can be done by diet alone, too. I always point that out to people because sometimes it is hard to get both going at once....

That is wonderful, wonderful news AQ-OC---this really goes to show the proof in the benefits of Exercise and how a person dealing with Diabetes Mellitus (DM) can truly manage and/reduce the condition's effects substantially. Good for you and keep it up!

My husband has achieved lowering his hemoglobin A1C down 1 point since taking a dietary class with his sister a few months ago. He is pleased with these results along with regular exercise of walking. (Saturdays he walks 7 miles while playing 18 holes of golf--something he loves to do!)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts