What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DFU Mode for Dummies

bronny1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there
I got further with your instructions than i have to date.
My ipad2 got jammed up because i replaced the screen and wifi antennae and it was having some issues so I thought to update/restore it. It got stuck on the firmware issue. So I put in DFU mode as you say and it let me choose firmware i had downloaded, but still did not complete restore. I got the (-18) error this time and can't find out what that means.
Its possible its because i chose the wrong firmware. I don't know what version I was running on my iPad so just went with 8.1.2, what should i have chosen? Is this the problem? If not, what do you suggest i do next?

thanks in advance!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. It's good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Apple has stopped signing iOS 8.1.2. So, may I suggest you try DFU mode again, but this time with iOS 8.1.3. It's not jailbreakable, but at least you'll have a working and up-to-date iPad.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

bronny1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn,

I've just read 26 pages of a similar forum on ipadforums.net and still no good.
I have tried 8.1.3. I've tried it with three different cables btw iPad and macbook (I can't be sure if they are genuine apple but i'm pretty sure one of them must be). Still it gets stuck at about 2/3 same with all of them (I think i'm in DFU mode as i followed the instructions, but I do have an apple logo on the screen and a progress bar stuck at 2/3, and I know somewhere it said the screen should be blank, so can you confirm if this is correct?).

In itunes, the thing it is doing when it gets stuck is "restoring iPad firmware" if that helps. It has got past talking to Apple etc. It doesn't seem to recognise my iPad other than as an iPad 2 (says serial number N/A).

When I unplug it and try again it gives me error 9, but earlier today I got a (1). Not been able to repeat that though.

I don't even know what a jail break is so i'm pretty sure i've never done that!

How I got to this point is i cracked my screen. Still worked fine but thought i'd get it replaced. They replaced screen and wifi antennae and turned it back on. Was fine other than a bit ropey in connecting to wifi, sometimes did sometimes had trouble. So I backed it up thinking that if I updated the software that might help. Then it wouldn't so I decided to restore it....

Any other suggestions? Is it hopeless?

thanks!

bronny1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some more info - i managed to replicate the (1) error, simply by leaving it for 90minutes of sitting at 2/3. This is what the screen on iTunes looked like. The iPad screen still has the apple logo and the progress bar at 2/3.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 5.53.22 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 5.53.22 pm.png
    39 KB · Views: 541

bronny1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It just takes you to this page on the internet (apple support).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 7.51.00 am.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 7.51.00 am.png
    242.8 KB · Views: 502

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This site will help with your error. That's Apple's site with information and instructions.

bronny1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
indeed J. A. And I did all the things they suggest a long time ago. That was my very first port of call.

bronny1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, went through all that. Many times with multiple cables. Same result exactly.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have read everything.

Did you also see this thread:
http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/t...-to-restore-the-current-version-of-ios.52863/

Yes, went through all that. Many times with multiple cables. Same result exactly.
If you've tried the method that Johanna linked to in her post and followed every step exactly, the only way it wouldn't work is if there's a hardware fault of some kind. Do you live close enough to an Apple Store to make a Genius Bar appointment and have a diagnostic done.

bronny1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
haha, no i live in New Zealand, we don't have such a thing here :)

bronny1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SCifan...what does a genius bar diagnostic involve? Do they use some kind of machine or is this something I cld follow some steps for?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SCifan...what does a genius bar diagnostic involve? Do they use some kind of machine or is this something I cld follow some steps for?
The Genius Bar has equipment designed to analyze the hardware and software of your device. If you contact technical support they may give you instructions on how to check certain functions yourself and send them the results.

Most reactions