What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting Photos from IPad2 Synched Thru ITunes

bob34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have three photo albums on my new IPad 2 that I synched through ITunes. Selected photos only. I did these as a trial to see how the IPad displayed and ordered them. I assumed that they could be easily deleted. I guess after reading several of the questions and answers on this forum, that this is not the case. I haven't found any directions to do this in the IPad 2 manual. Could someone point me to a forum question / answer or other pub that explains how to - delete all photos from the IPad so I can start over.

Thanks and I appreciate any help

This is my first time using Apple computer products although I have many years experience with computers.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Connect the iPad to the computer, go back into iTunes and the Photo sync settings for the iPad, turn it off, then sync again.

Photo syncing is one way, from computer to iPad. Changes must be made either in iTunes (where you can remove the folders), or to the files in the folders you choose to sync, which will be updated on the iPad the time you sync.

iPhone, iPad and iPod touch: Syncing photos via iTunes

mmesford

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sadly, this doesn't work. With the iPad connected I go to the Photos tab and deselect the check box next to Sync Photos from. I get this dialog:

iTunes will no longer sync photos to the iPad. Would you like iTunes to remove photos previously copied to your iPad?

I hit Remove Photos and the Capacity bar correctly shows no more orange, with the readout showing 0.01G. I press the Apply button to make the changes and all the orange comes back, 6.8G worth of Photos. So how do you REALLY delete photos from an iPad?

mmesford

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even more sadly, it DOES work, and I'm an idiot, or at least impatient. After hitting Apply and taking the time to write that last post, the changes took effect. I hadn't actually let it sit long enough before, trying instead various sync and unplug strategies. So the trick for large quantities is to wait til the orange is mostly gone. Then you have to hit Sync to make the changes show up on the iPad.

stujen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like Bob I too have photos on my ipad 2 which I want to delete. Having followed the instructions from twerppoet I still can't get rid of the photos.

When the Sync photos box is ticked it shows 1.83 GB (orange) for photos, when I untick the box I get the message would I like to delete the photos ( click delete) the figure then goes down to 1.42GB. Taking into account Bob's comment about not waiting long enough for the orange to disappear any advice on how long I should wait. It's been running for about one hour now and no movement. I am a beginner with ipad so not sure how long these things take.

Grateful for any advice / help

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The photo syncing part of the sync is one of the last things to happen. If it's hung up on some other part of the sync it could take a long time. It rarely takes much tine to delete the photos when it gets to it.

I'm answering this pretty late in the day, so I'm guessing it either finished by now, or you forced the syncing to end.

Do it get around to working? If not, do you remember what step it was hung up on? It should show this in the little status window at the top of iTunes.

211ssw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for sending me here (this is as far as I've read) but this list of instructions will not work for me. If it starts with opening iTunes in the computer- since the OS is XP 64bit Professional which has as highest SP2, Apple does not support for iTunes. Microsoft continues to support XP64bit Professional. This was bought as business PC after Windows 7 was released and at that time, I had too many new software programs that were going to soak up more time than I had to offer and I really didn't want a new OS as well. It was bought as a Windows 7 downgrade to XP. That does not mean that it's running on XP within 7. Instead, at any time, I can call Dell Pro Support and they will install Windows for me. It arrived with Windows 7 disc but that will no longer be sufficient (ot so I'm told) that took a long explanation to explain why this particular set of instructions won't work for me.Now I'll read on to see it anything applies to my set of circumstances. However, I appreciate the response. Bye, S

211ssw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
211ssw said:
Thanks for sending me here (this is as far as I've read) but this list of instructions will not work for me. If it starts with opening iTunes in the computer- since the OS is XP 64bit Professional which has as highest SP2, Apple does not support for iTunes. Microsoft continues to support XP64bit Professional. This was bought as business PC after Windows 7 was released and at that time, I had too many new software programs that were going to soak up more time than I had to offer and I really didn't want a new OS as well. It was bought as a Windows 7 downgrade to XP. That does not mean that it's running on XP within 7. Instead, at any time, I can call Dell Pro Support and they will install Windows for me. It arrived with Windows 7 disc but that will no longer be sufficient (ot so I'm told) that took a long explanation to explain why this particular set of instructions won't work for me.Now I'll read on to see it anything applies to my set of circumstances. However, I appreciate the response. Bye, S

If you added something to this thread, I sent in error and cannot find any record of it. I've been trying to find what I started reading tonight but have not been able to locate what I read earlier. I continue to search & will eventually find it but may be faster for you to resend, if that is possible.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you added something to this thread, I sent in error and cannot find any record of it. I've been trying to find what I started reading tonight but have not been able to locate what I read earlier. I continue to search & will eventually find it but may be faster for you to resend, if that is possible.

Are you talking to me?

I'm afraid I'm not sure what thread you are talking about. I don't mean to be rude, but I read a lot of threads each day and don't always remember them. I do remember you, but not exactly what we were talking about, or what thread it was in. I'll take a look in a bit, but won't guarantee I'll find it. I usually depend on the person I'm talking to to respond in that thread, so that it shows up in my unread list.

In the mean time here are some tricks to help you keep track of your conversations.

Click on the Settings link at the top of the website. This will show you all the threads you've posted in or subscribed too that have new posts in them. If you click on the View All Subscribed Threads button at the bottom of the list you'll see the ones with no new posts as well. With only 32 posts, it shouldn't take you too long to find the thread you want; if you made a post in it.

For threads you want to keep an eye on, but don't make you own post, use the Thread Tools link in the black bar and subscribe. You'll notice when you do that you'll have an option to use a folder. This way you can keep a list of special threads that you don't want to get buried in the main one. You can create new folders using the Edit Folders option in the left column when you are on the Settings page. You can visit those folders using the Subscriptions link in the same place.

That should give you some basic tools for keeping track of your threads.

flexpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CopyTrans Suite is a superb and easy to work with program for PC if you don't want to use iTunes and there you can transfer anything in anyway back and forth and delete what ever you want to delete off your iPhone, iPod or iPad.
I struggled for months to try to delete a photo folder on my iPad. I searched forum after forum and no one had any good answer. Well here it is CopyTrans Suite.....

Most reactions

Latest posts