What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Synching photos

Tachi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been trying to synch the photos on my PC to the iPad. It successfully copied over 706 photos. But I have 5251!

I tried "browse" to another folder, but it was the same number of photos. It seems to have simply skipped a large number of folders and files.

Ipad2, win7 pro, iTunes 10.2

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
Tachi

OP
T

Tachi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plenty of memory

The memory space is barely touched. This is not a jailbroken ipad2. My Photos folder on Windows is heavily organized into folders and sub-folders. Is that an issue?

Reaction score
Tachi said:
The memory space is barely touched. This is not a jailbroken ipad2. My Photos folder on Windows is heavily organized into folders and sub-folders. Is that an issue?

That may be the reason.

I think it only synchronizes two levels deep.

So the photos should be organized in a way similar to the following:

Main folder: Photos

Sub folders in Photos: May/June, etc.

If you have any further subfolders in May/June, it doesn't sync.

But perhaps someone else can verify this.

Anyway, since you already have organized your photos, is this not a good answer :(

Laban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A related question, say that I have 5 GB of photos on another computer in the network. If I would like to copy them to my iPad, will all the photos (5GB) be copied to the computer where my iPad is connected to or will only the optimized photos be copied?

OP
T

Tachi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I just reorganized all of my photos (5251 of them) into folders at ONE level only. That is, there is no folder with another folder.
Result? Many 'folders' on the ipad now have only ONE photo. All of the others are missing. Some complete folders are still missing.

So, what gives? Why does this not work? All of the photos are standara jpeg's from a real camera.

OP
T

Tachi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried again

Well, that was an excellent link to Matth3's article about how to sync photos. It provided a couple of points that are anything BUT obvious to us poor users. Who would think that if I want ALL my photos transferred that I shouldn't check "all folders"! Imagine that. :confused:

So, I went back and tried to select all of the folders, individually, from a folder where I spent a bunch of time making sure that I did not have any SUB-folders. Pain in the ass. :mad:

Well, that didn't work too well. The whole iTunes/iPad system froze somewhere in the middle of "optimizing photos". I noticed this when I got up at 3AM and noticed that the iPad was still sync'g - after doing so for about 5 hours. :mad:

So, again, I went back and UNCHECK'd 90% of the folders and tried again. That seems to have worked. So, I guess I have to sync a few folders at a time, and I have to setup a SPECIAL folder location where I can properly UN-organize my photos so that iTunes will sync them. Sheesh! THis is what I call garbage software. And this means that when I add new photos, I have to carefully add them to 2 locations: 1) sensibly located in an organized set of folders that make sense, and 2) into a specially dis-organized iTunes capable folder. I am truly excited.

And, if that isn't enough, during the sync process, it brings my PC to its knees. So, I cannot do any other work while it is sync'g. :mad:

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great rant there, Tachi!

Don't know how many photos you were trying to load and sync, but I agree it's not a quick process. It starts by "optimising" them. I haven't timed it, but it probably takes around 10-15 secs to do each pic. So if you have 1000s of them, it's going to take a while.

Most reactions

Latest posts