What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting Apps

Gary_P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before I sync again I wanted to make sure I do it right.

I sync'd my ipad to my itunes which my kids had also been using on their ipod touches. When I did the first sync I wound up with 200 apps on my ipad which were of no interest to me at all. I have now deleted everything useless from the ipad.

When I open my itunes, all of the apps are still there. This is normal.

Do I need to go through again and delete them from itunes before I sync or will itunes recongnise that they were deleted from the ipad and delete them from itunes as well?

I DO NOT want to sync and find the 200 apps back on the ipad.

Thanks

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The advantages of one account are that you can share apps, music, and movies, and at the same time have different things on each iPad. But, first, click on FILE on the top left of the screen, and click Preferences. Select the DEVICES tab and check the box before "Prevent iPod, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically." Also, on the APPS tab for your iPhone make sure the box before "Automatically sync new apps." is not checked unless you both want to have all the same apps on your iPhones.Under the MUSIC tab check box before "Sync Music", and then check the box before "Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres.". Then check the Artist or songs you want to put on your iPhone. That way each of you can have the music you each like on your iPhones. You can also do a similar thing with apps and movies.

By selectively syncing your apps for each device you won't have that problem.

OP
G

Gary_P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I know better now when setting up with multiple users but I am wondering about my next sync. How do I "not" get all those apps to come back on the ipad but get the ones on my ipad into itunes?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When your device is plugged into iTunes go the APPS tab and select only the apps you want on your iPad, be sure they are iPad compatible apps or iTunes won't sync them. When you sync, the apps that you did NOT check, will be deleted from your iPad, not iTunes. If there are apps on the iPad that have not been synced to iTunes before, they will be transfered to iTunes, normally. If they are not transfered, go to the FILES tab in iTunes and click on "Transfer Purchases from iPad", now they will be on the iPad and iTunes. If set it up as outlined above, you should be OK. Now when a different iDevice is attached to itunes you can set it up differently and it will stay that way. Your kids can have it there way, and you can have it your way.

Most reactions

Latest posts