What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting Apps in 14.8

markstan1949

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just upgraded to 14.8, but this issue was there even on the older versions.

I just can't figure out how to delete an app! I have tried the "hold the app down until it wiggles or gets an x and going to the ipad storage and delete the app there.
I never get an "x" or sub menu with a delete option, and there is no delete option in the ipad storage deal.

What am I doing wrong?

I did a search on this subject and the posts were 10 years or so old and were of no help. My apologies if this has been discussed before, but I am new here and did my best to try and find an existing answer
before posting.

Thanks in advance - Mark

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If your iPad is subject to controls (if applicable), or by a profile (can be done by schools or business owned/admistrated iPads) the ability to delete apps may be disdabled.

Some native apps can not be deleted. However, if you enter jiggle mode the other, deletable, apps should show an X.

OP
M

markstan1949

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
What I am trying to remove are not native apps and the the machine is mine and not issued to me by anyone.
To my knowledge, I have not changed any settings that would affect anything.

Thanks again

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is it a specific app, or all apps?

On rare occations apps have been known to turn into ghosts, neither deletable or usable. The icon just refuses to go away. It can take a full update or restoring the device to get rid of it; though they have been known to remove themselves on occation.

It it’s all apps, I’m at a loss. Can you even enter jiggle mode, or get menus on any app at all?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You told us you didn’t change any settings. Take a look at the following, though:
In Settings - Screen Time go to Content & Privacy Restrictions, select iTunes & App Store Purchases and make sure everything is allowed there.

OP
M

markstan1949

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it a specific app, or all apps?

On rare occations apps have been known to turn into ghosts, neither deletable or usable. The icon just refuses to go away. It can take a full update or restoring the device to get rid of it; though they have been known to remove themselves on occation.

It it’s all apps, I’m at a loss. Can you even enter jiggle mode, or get menus on any app at all?
I have tried it on a few non native apps and while I can get to giggle mode, no x or sub menus appear. I can hold it down until the cows come home and nothing appears.

On one of the older posts from 2010, and obviously a much older operating system, someone talked about a “restrictions” section in Settings and there is a setting that prohibits you from deleting apps if it is on. I can’t find anything like that in 14,8.

Thanks

OP
M

markstan1949

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You told us you didn’t change any settings. Take a look at the following, though:
In Settings - Screen Time go to Content & Privacy Restrictions, select iTunes & App Store Purchases and make sure everything is allowed there.
That worked! I had to change the Delete apps setting to "Allow" and now I am in business.
I am elated ! Thanks so much to you and others that replied. All is right with the world now.

Mark

Most reactions

Latest posts