What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damaged iPad & repair

DuggerOregon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
davaulttravel.blogspot.com
Dropped my 64gb 3G/WiFi onto a marble floor the other day. Of course it dropped right on the corner where the power button is located. Jammed the power button on so it kept cycling on and off, bulge on the case, and the rubber gasket popped out just along the corner. I was able to get it so the power button functioned about 90% of the time, so it was semi-useable. Very surreal moment as I watched it fall out of my hands and onto the floor, ouch!

Several options, I bought it with a platinum Visa, which adds some damage protection, but they deemed it "cosmetic" (should have used my Plat AmEx, they never hassle me), had also added it as a rider to my homeowner's insurance for $9.00 per year X 2 (bought 2 of them), covered with a $50 deductible, my agent STRONGLY suggested I not make a claim as it would impact my renewal, another entire story.

I went into the Apple store yesterday after making a genius appointment. Asked about a repair. Was told the repair cost would be $419.00 and I would walk out with a new iPad. I said ok, he swapped out the sim card, wiped the memory on the old unit, verified the new one was working, and I walked out 15 minutes later. I was surprised they had 64gb 3G/WiFi in stock, maybe they keep some for warranty swaps. I also have Apple care on them, but that didn't play into the situation.

I guess I should keep the new one in a case, but I really like using the dock.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, they keep a stash for warranty exchanges.

So what happens after yours gets repaired? You have to return this new one and get your repaired one back? Or was the $419 just a "replacement cost" and yours that went out for repair gets fixed and goes into the refurbished market?

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the point of the rider on your h/o policy. The next time call you INS co cust service number. I recently had a claim for water damage. My agent didn't want me to claim it either. I don't think it matters, they just don't want the claims. Sq trade would have been a good idea.

Most reactions

Latest posts