What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowdsourcing my update and model-choice plans

drjuliebug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a four-year-old iPad 2 that has been extremely reliable for a long time, but is starting to creak in many ways. I'm usually frugal with my electronic devices, but I think it's going to finally need replacing this year. Most likely, I'd go for another full-sized iPad rather than a Mini, but I don't want or need the extra-large model that's rumored to be coming later this year. Also, I've never maxed out my 32 GB iPad 2, and would probably go for 64 GB rather than 128 GB with a new model.

* Any suggestions on whether it's better to go ahead and get an iPad Air 2 now, or to try to make my old iPad 2 last until the new models come out in the fall?

* My iPad 2 has cellular + wifi capability, which was invaluable for international travel in 2011 and 2012. However, I haven't traveled that much in the last couple of years, so I don't know how easy it is to get free or low-cost wifi access outside North America these days. Is cellular capability still as useful for travelers as it was in 2011, or is it better for an infrequent traveler to spend the money on additional storage instead?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
WiFi plus cellular iPads have GPS capability even without a cellular data plan. This could be helpful in finding your way around a strange city during your travels. The availabity of WiFi, free and paid depends on where you're going to. Some cities have lots of free WiFi, if you set up an account. London, England was like that when I was there last year.

OP
D

drjuliebug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I generally like to get new devices about a month after they hit the market. So the preferred option is to wait. I'm not sure whether my old iPad 2 will hold out that long, though. I think the wifi antenna is now having problems; the old trick of the network reset has failed to fix the connection problems.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never worry about the next model down the road... I bought the iPad 1 about four months before the iPad 2 was released.. (I still have it)... I'd buy an Air 2 now if I wasn't happy with my current Air 1.

For WiFi+Cell.. I take my iPad with me almost everywhere I go. I hate sniffing around for WiFi spots. I like to just fire the thing up and use it no matter where I am. I could tether with my phone, but I'm lazy. I find that it's a pain switching the tethering on and off multiple times a day as I come and go from the network in the house.

As far as data goes.. For 10 Bucks a month, my carrier lets me draw from the same 5 Gigs of data that's included with my phone plan. I never use more than 5 Gigs, so it's perfect for me. If you can get a decent price on data, and you can afford the extra price for a Cell capable iPad, the WiFi+Cell model would be something to consider.

Most reactions

Latest posts