What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.

robster2644

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mahirali said:
This is good.I have entirely different experience. Apple support is one of the worst I have come across. My IPad2 64GB 3G bought recently. The front screen cracked. I checked on-line and encouraged by your threads. I have booked an appointment over the phone. The gemtleman was so nice & helpful. He advised that the nearest store is about 65 miles from I live and he booked me an appointment. I told him what was the problem, he said this can well be sorted out on the spot within 10 minutes! He did not mention any charges. After waisting all day travel from North Wales to Manchester (total 155 miles travel), only to be disappointed by the worst ever store (Apple in Trafford Centre - Manchester). They have very bad people, who treated me very rudly and badly. After waiting considerable time, they asked me to book another appointment to replace the front glass of the iPad with a cost of £350 !!!!! Is this not a a reubesh care from Apple. I have iPhone 4 and was planning to buy an I mac 27 inch for over £1650 from Manchester today, but after their treament, desided not to do so. I am also getting rid of my iPhone4 (if any one in the form wanted for free please ask), I am now going to get Galaxy instead. This copmany is unfortunately going downhill for sure

Mate if your giving it away I will have, I can fix and replace the glass and give it to my mum for a wee pressy. It's a shame you had a bad exp apple are normally good.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

iv22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd always chide my 5 year old boy to be careful when he was playing games on the ipad and then a few days ago, i dropped it..trying to take a picture. Felt so miserable that i cant tell you. Haven't yet taken the ipad home or told the folks about it. It used to be in my car every night after office hours. But the ipad by itself works fine but has got spider cracks on the surface .Back is intact.

Anyway, visited 3 apple stores here in Bombay and 2 quoted 25,000 inr (approx $500) and another one quoted 28,000 inr ($550) to have it replaced. That's a lot of monies so i just walked away and was googling when i stumbled upon this forum.

After seeing all the positive responses and even by a quick back of the envelope calculation, if any store in the US were to charge me a couple of hundred dollars, itd still be cheaper than India so frantic phone calls to all my friends to check who was going to the US and found out that one of them was going this weekend.

Had the ipad couriered to him last night and asked him to be sweet, honest and polite when he visits the store.

Rest of the experience after he visits and gets it exchanged (with or without the charge).

By the way it was bought from LA 6 months ago.

Thanks for reading this
V

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I really do wish you and your friend the best of luck with your iPad!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

mandolin6582

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just brought mine in to the Salem, NH store after my smart cover collapsed last night sending my ipad to the tile floor. All they are offering is a replacement for $419. After driving over an hour to get here, I am just going to do it but I am not too happy since I've had it less than a month and a half. Don't trust your smart cover!!!!

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mandolin6582 said:
I just brought mine in to the Salem, NH store after my smart cover collapsed last night sending my ipad to the tile floor. All they are offering is a replacement for $419. After driving over an hour to get here, I am just going to do it but I am not too happy since I've had it less than a month and a half. Don't trust your smart cover!!!!

But the smart cover is just a cover. It detaches easily, but this shouldn't matter. It can't be expected to support the weight of the iPad. It would be like expecting the dust-cover of a book to support the book.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But the smart cover is just a cover. It detaches easily, but this shouldn't matter. It can't be expected to support the weight of the iPad. It would be like expecting the dust-cover of a book to support the book.

Agreed. It's not the first time that I've seen such posts, though. It's these type of complaints and unreasonable expectations that lead to companies having to put warning labels on things, like "Don't put this plastic bag over your head, or you might suffocate."

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Agreed. It's not the first time that I've seen such posts, though. It's these type of complaints and unreasonable expectations that lead to companies having to put warning labels on things, like "Don't put this plastic bag over your head, or you might suffocate."

Totally mystifies me. I don't get it. It's also like saying, "Never touched him Your Honour. I was standing there with my arm outstretched and he walked into my fist!"

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totally mystifies me. I don't get it. It's also like saying, "Never touched him Your Honour. I was standing there with my arm outstretched and he walked into my fist!"

The thing is, Apple shouldn't be marketing the smart covers as stands at all, because those magnets invariably will slip and fail in some circumstances. So Apple shares part of the blame. But the possibility of failure seemed evident to me even as Apple unveiled the smart cover. Advertising is one thing, but consumers need to use judgment no matter what ads say.

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
The thing is, Apple shouldn't be marketing the smart covers as stands at all, because those magnets invariably will slip and fail in some circumstances. So Apple shares part of the blame. But the possibility of failure seemed evident to me even as Apple unveiled the smart cover. Advertising is one thing, but consumers need to use judgment no matter what ads say.

But that sort of failure isn't the picture I'm getting, although when I stand my iPad up, it can't fall anywhere. Certainly no further than the table it's resting on. It would have to have a life of its own to get to the floor.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But that sort of failure isn't the picture I'm getting, although when I stand my iPad up, it can't fall anywhere. Certainly no further than the table it's resting on. It would have to have a life of its own to get to the floor.

If it can fall on a table, it can fall onto the floor from the table if it's anywhere near the edge, for instance. Owners have to make sure that the magnets are properly lined up and that don't they place their iPad and cover anywhere precarious, and that appears to a problem for some.

When a company advertises a product like that, it has to take into account that some customers won't exercise judgment, because those sorts of customers usually don't take responsibility when things go bad and will complain. Then it comes down to deciding how to deal with such customers.

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
If it can fall on a table, it can fall onto the floor from the table if it's anywhere near the edge, for instance. Owners have to make sure that the magnets are properly lined up and that don't they place their iPad and cover anywhere precarious, and that appears to a problem for some.

When a company advertises a product like that, it has to take into account that some customers won't exercise judgment, because those sorts of customers usually don't take responsibility when things go bad and will complain. Then it comes down to deciding how to deal with such customers.

Ok! You win....

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kathryn4812 said:

Lol. Love this one Kathryn!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

mandolin6582

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

It was near the edge of the counter and I learned my lesson. I am not blaming anyone and I did not complain in the store. I just want others to learn from my mistake. I'm sorry I assumed that you could use the cover as advertised.

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mandolin6582 said:
It was near the edge of the counter and I learned my lesson. I am not blaming anyone and I did not complain in the store. I just want others to learn from my mistake. I'm sorry I assumed that you could use the cover as advertised.

Kaykaykay has done such a good conversion job on me that I am now looking at this from a different angle. If this is how most breakages are occurring, which I hadn't realised, then some sort of concerted campaign to bring that particular issue to Apple's attention would be a good idea. I think it's a great function of the cover that it can be used as a stand, but maybe it should be emphasised that great care is needed re positioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts