What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Flash_beezy said:
Had no luck with a nearly clueless female guinius, even walked in the back, came back and said nope physical damage is not covered and no other options were Availible. Brought my 2 year old along with no avail.

Valleyfair store in Santa Clara CA. Now I need to try muliple stores in my area.

Haha nice, bring the two year old ;)

DCLympstone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Allyson said:
Hey guys, while at school i was putting my drink into my boyfriends bag when i had my ipad under my arm keeping a firm hold on it, But life seems to hate me and it slipped from my arm, it had a full case on it but it wasn't enough, it hit the corner and cracked the class and chips of the glass is falling out.

I'm scared to tell my rents, they will kill me. (In fear and being so angry at myself i cannot help but cry.)
I don't know how i can get the receipt of my perants without them knowing. Oh and im paying it off as a loan from my rents.

Does anyone live near brisbane and has tried an apple store?

Anyone who can save me please reply! :'(

You shouldn't need a receipt (I didn't) - the store can pull up all the detail needed from the serial no. It's all pretty efficient. Good luck!

DCLympstone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hardride said:
$419.00 for a replacement for a 3 mth old iPad2 for a cracked screen. WTH? I had bought my Mac, iPod for my daughter, and all my program updates @ the Birmingham, Al store. I also purchased my iPad2 from that same store. I will never purchase from this store. I love Apple but this SUCKS. I will order online or buy @ Target.

I was told that, as a minimum, they'll replace at less than half price. Free is discretionary.

PDADoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't AppleCare cover you on this?

I have AppleCare and didn't have any problems exchanging my iPad 2 3G the two times I had to do it for the
light bleed issue. Now, granted, I didn't have a cracked or broken screen, but I thought that was covered as well. The only real issue I ran I to the first time I exchanged was that they didn't have an iPad 2 3G in 64GB, which is what I had. Even then it was overnighted to me the next day.

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Has ANYBODY experienced this in South Africa, and If so, where???

Regards,
~Chays~

PDADoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So no one answered my question: is screen damage not covered by AppleCare? Or is it that the people posting don't have AppleCare?

Just curious.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
PDADoc said:
So no one answered my question: is screen damage not covered by AppleCare? Or is it that the people posting don't have AppleCare?

Just curious.

As far as I know screen damage is not covered by Apple Care. I have heard in the last few days that there is an Apple Care Plus now and that this may cover screen damage, although I haven't enquired at Apple if this is true. Up until now Apple has had an unwritten policy of a one time replacement for iPads. It was a courtesy only, at the discretion of the Apple store, but most of our members reported that they did indeed receive a new iPad when they damaged their screens. As of late though some members are now reporting that they have been rejected by Apple. Im guessing that Apple must have been replacing quite a lot of ipads and maybe this is why Apple Care plus has been introduced. Hope this helps.

PDADoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not looking to test this theory personally, but it's good to know what it covers and what it doesn't.

My research has turned up inconsistent results regarding this, both anecdotally and from Apple itself. If I've asked the so-called "geniuses" in the retail stores I've gotten several different answers. And if I ask Apple via e-mail or telephone I've gotten several more.

As assiduous as I am in protecting my devices, the potential for calamitous accidents can't be precluded. While I have Apple Care for all my iDevices, I'll check with my homeowner's insurance policy and see if perhaps I can get a rider to cover said devices. I have two iPad 2 3G 64GB, one with AT&T for overseas travel and one with Verizon for use in the U.S. I also have an iPhone 4S 64GB and my wife has an iPhone 4. These devices aren't cheap, and there has to be some way to safeguard against the odd accident.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
PDADoc said:
I see. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not looking to test this theory personally, but it's good to know what it covers and what it doesn't.

My research has turned up inconsistent results regarding this, both anecdotally and from Apple itself. If I've asked the so-called "geniuses" in the retail stores I've gotten several different answers. And if I ask Apple via e-mail or telephone I've gotten several more.

As assiduous as I am in protecting my devices, the potential for calamitous accidents can't be precluded. While I have Apple Care for all my iDevices, I'll check with my homeowner's insurance policy and see if perhaps I can get a rider to cover said devices. I have two iPad 2 3G 64GB, one with AT&T for overseas travel and one with Verizon for use in the U.S. I also have an iPhone 4S 64GB and my wife has an iPhone 4. These devices aren't cheap, and there has to be some way to safeguard against the odd accident.

I will also be checking into this, like you I am very careful with my iPad, but I have children and pets, so this gives me pause that I do need some type of cover. As far as the one time courtesy swap, no, Apple will not commit to admitting it. It is a discretionary policy and it is not even widely known to Apple employees. That being said many have been very lucky and someone has also reported today that they were given a new one. It appears to be 'the luck of the draw'. Which I really can't live with. I trust that you are enjoying this Forum and I look forward to your future posts. Enjoy!!

Flash_beezy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Www.facebook.com

That's we're something like square trade comes in handy

rjchoops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was told that the new apple care plus is for the iPhone 4S and NOT the iPad 2. I have one more city , Columbus, OH to try to get my iPad 2 replaced. I think I need to bring my 5 year old grand daughter with me since I'm not doing very good alone.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rjchoops said:
I was told that the new apple care plus is for the iPhone 4S and NOT the iPad 2. I have one more city , Columbus, OH to try to get my iPad 2 replaced. I think I need to bring my 5 year old grand daughter with me since I'm not doing very good alone.

The best of luck with that, I do hope you get one this time. Taking your granddaughter may be a very good idea. Fingers crossed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts