What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked gasket???

lucyana1129

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a new iPad2 about a week ago. A few days after opening it I noticed there was a small chip in the gasket? I think that's what it's called. The seal between the glass and aluminum. It is so small that I can only notice if I hold it under a bright light. I purchased from Walmart and although I was more than careful I can't say if I did this or if it came this way. Wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been charging it under a light. Anyways, to get to my question, is it worth replacing or is it really not a big deal? Would that even be an option as I have already opened it and set everything up? If it will not cause any further issues then I'm not that concerned. Any advice or opinions would be great. Thanks!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would exchange it just to be safe. The gasket helps protect the iPad's innards from outside elements such as dust, moisture, etc. The damage to yours might be low risk, but why take a chance that it could deteriorate further?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Totally agree with Kay, dust will get in any small fissure and down the track it may cause problems.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I would exchange it just to be safe. The gasket helps protect the iPad's innards from outside elements such as dust, moisture, etc. The damage to yours might be low risk, but why take a chance that it could deteriorate further?

Yes, pleas make use of your warranty while you can!! ;)

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF

OP
L

lucyana1129

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to but I'm not sure they will replace it if I have already opened it and set everything up. I've been on it for almost a week now. U can return within 15 days but I'm not sure if that includes opened things or not. And if they do, what will they do with all the info I've put on here? Music, apps, email, iTunes, Facebook? I don't mind setting it all up again as it is synced to our computer but I'm concerned about what will happen to all of it already on here.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can easily reset your iPad to factory settings (erase everything, so iPad is as-new):

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content And Settings.

Exchange would be under Apple warranty, which is one year. It has nothing to do with where you bought it. You can try returning to Wal-Mart if that's more convenient for you, but you can take it to an Apple store, too.

If something is damaged, I'd guess that Wal-Mart would take it back under its return period, even if open. If you never opened it, how would you see any damage?

OP
L

lucyana1129

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Very helpful information. About to head to Walmart now. This was the last black one but maybe they have more now. Honestly, I'd rather have a white one not damaged than a damaged black one. Everyone that has seen it thinks I'm being ridiculous but its all I see when I'm on it. Thanks again!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Wal-Mart is like other chains, you can probably return to any of its stores. If one Wal-Mart is out of stock, another might not be. Some chains can quickly look up stock at its other nearby stores. I'd call first, have them look up, then go to one with stock if it's nearby.

OP
L

lucyana1129

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We went this morning and although a very rude electronics employee tried to blame me I went to another store and they had no problem exchanging it. So happy I did it. I am much less stressed not being so obsessed about that chip. This one is perfect and I'll be going Friday to get the Otterbox Defender case. Until then he will be staying home and only handled by me. Honestly think I may file a complaint to Walmart about that lady tho. She asked what was wrong and I told her and she was like, "What does that mean?" and I told her it means it has a chip and I want one w/o a chip. Then she got all rude saying how she doesn't understand how it happened if it was in that box. I told her I have no idea but that I certainly did not do it. It made me very angry being accused. Not only that but it was in the 15 day window so it really doesn't matter. Ugghhh...! Sorry. Venting. Happy I got the new one tho. Thanks again everyone. Glad I came and asked everyones opinions. After paying so much for it I shouldn't accept anything but perfect.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Chances are that individual may have been a bit overwhelmed dealing with customers. Probably worked a lot of hours til Christmas Eve then Boxing Day.
I'm sure Wal Mart doesn't train it's floor staff to know much if anything about iPads
except how much they cost and how much stock they have.

Glad to hear your problem was resolved.

AA

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So glad you have a new one now and don't have to keep worrying about the chip and what may have happened. Staff do get overwhelmed at Christmas time as do we all but still no need for rudeness. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
lucyana1129 said:
We went this morning and although a very rude electronics employee tried to blame me I went to another store and they had no problem exchanging it. So happy I did it. I am much less stressed not being so obsessed about that chip. This one is perfect and I'll be going Friday to get the Otterbox Defender case. Until then he will be staying home and only handled by me. Honestly think I may file a complaint to Walmart about that lady tho. She asked what was wrong and I told her and she was like, "What does that mean?" and I told her it means it has a chip and I want one w/o a chip. Then she got all rude saying how she doesn't understand how it happened if it was in that box. I told her I have no idea but that I certainly did not do it. It made me very angry being accused. Not only that but it was in the 15 day window so it really doesn't matter. Ugghhh...! Sorry. Venting. Happy I got the new one tho. Thanks again everyone. Glad I came and asked everyones opinions. After paying so much for it I shouldn't accept anything but perfect.

I don't understand why these sales people get so huffy. Just exchange the thing and sent the defective one back to Apple!! Its not THEIR $$$. Glad you got a new pad!!! Enjoy.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some people shouldn't work in customer service. They're just not suited because of attitude or temperament. Some can't handle stress, either.

As for making returns and exchanges, for purposes of others needing this thread later: I suggest making a first return attempt at the store of purchase if it's not Apple, under the return period. I suggest that to avoid having a return on record with Apple in case you might need an exchange under warranty for another reason later, on the off chance that someone with discretion might deny you a later exchange because you'd already had one.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Some people shouldn't work in customer service. They're just not suited because of attitude or temperament. Some can't handle stress, either.

As for making returns and exchanges, for purposes of others needing this thread later: I suggest making a first return attempt at the store of purchase if it's not Apple, under the return period. I suggest that to avoid having a return on record with Apple in case you might need an exchange under warranty for another reason later, on the off chance that someone with discretion might deny you a later exchange because you'd already had one.

Makes sense. Good advice.

Most reactions

Latest posts