What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cover or not

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a case that's all you should need. The screen's pretty tough, you won't wreck it by touching it or using it the way it was designed to be used. It doesn't need cleaning either, after a while the finger marks cover the screen uniformly, its back lit so you only notice when its off.

Had mine 20 months, no protection, no cleaning - looks as good as the day I got it.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It doesn't need cleaning either, after a while the finger marks cover the screen uniformly, its back lit so you only notice when its off.

That there is darn good humor! :D
Kind of like never washing yuor car.......pretty soon you can't tell as it's dirty all over.

I'm on the other side of the fence.......I can't keep the screen clean enough. I have a terry cloth with water/10% alcohol mix in a spray bottle to clean the screen regularily.
Also use a stylus so I don't have my fingers touching the screen more than neessary.

btw - my car is spotless also. :eek:

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple says to avoid using alcohol: How to clean Apple products

10% alcohol in the mix with H2O is NOT an issue.......it helps take any greasy residue off and it allows it to dry almost instantly.
They are talking full strength alcohol which is a no-no.

Been using it on comuter stuff for decades with zero ill effects......no worries.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
10% alcohol in the mix with H2O is NOT an issue.......it helps take any greasy residue off and it allows it to dry almost instantly.
They are talking full strength alcohol which is a no-no.

Been using it on comuter stuff for decades with zero ill effects......no worries.

A microfiber cloth does the same....don't even need it wet. And not all electronics have the coatings that these screens have.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
A microfiber cloth does the same....don't even need it wet. And not all electronics have the coatings that these screens have.

That is all I use on my iDevices and it keeps the screens looking perfect.

The Archangel

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Exactly.

I use an eyeglass cloth, occasionally dampened. Works fine.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thanks for everyones concern.....but I've had excellent luck doing it this way and zero issues.
I disagree with a dry cloth or dry terry cloth.....if you have any dust or grit on the screen, a dry cloth will grind it in and potentially cause scratches.
Dampened is the best method IMHO.

I repeat 10% alcohol and water will do no harm ( I actually use distilled water as there are no minerals).....but do as you wish it's your iPad.
Have many iPad 1 users at work that have done it this way since it came out and their screens loook brand new.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I disagree with a dry cloth or dry terry cloth.....if you have any dust or grit on the screen, a dry cloth will grind it in and potentially cause scratches.

I've never had a prob with dust or grit. Been using a dry eyeglass cloth on iPad 1 since the first day that they sold the 3G model. 2.5 years or so.

When a manufacturer says alcohol can damage a coating they provide, I see no reason to believe otherwise.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones concern.....but I've had excellent luck doing it this way and zero issues.
Dampened is the best method IMHO.

I repeat 10% alcohol and water will do no harm ( I actually use distilled water as there are no minerals).....but do as you wish it's your iPad.
Have many iPad 1 users at work that have done it this way since it came out and their screens loook brand new.

If I were a beach goer (none around here) and came in contact with sand, then I'd be careful to blow it off before wiping down the screen. But even a wet application with sand on the screen is going to have a potential to scratch the screen. if you have something harder than the glass of the screen on there, it needs to come off before wiping. The way I use my devices this is not much of a concern...for others it may be.

Man, I sold my iPad 2 for top dollar on Amazon after using it everyday for a year. My screen looked brand new too. My iPad 3 screen looks brand new too, but what does that prove? I don't think this kind of evidence prove either your case or mine, frankly.

As for alcohol, since I didn't design the screens on Apple's devices, I'd rather follow their recommendations in terms of what I let on the screen. It kinda only makes sense. I'm a microfiber fan...you should see me when I clean up my car. I plan to keep that showroom finish for a least 2 years. :)

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just mentioned what has and does work great for me in response to not cleaning the screen at all.......never intended to start a debate on the subject, someone else did.

You continue your way and I continue mine......more than likely we will both be happy and have zero issues.
I don't care to debate which is better as I will not prove my method and you won't prove yours.

Good luck to all iPad users and happy cleaning!
Do what makes you happy......

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So we are in total agreement! :)

I don' think anyone intended to start a debate.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So we are in total agreement! :)

I don' think anyone intended to start a debate.

I brought up Apple recs because some users don't know what can damage their screens. If some choose to disregard Apple recs, that's their choice, of course.

I sometimes disregard manufacturer suggestions, but I think it's only right to make that clear when posting, so that others can make informed choices.

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since I've received my new iPad 4 I have used a Toddy cloth. Today I noticed a few marks that were not coming off so I grabbed one of my eye glass wipes and removed those little bits. I received my new iPad on release day so I think the Toddy cloth has been doing an excellent job keeping the screen clean for the past three weeks on it's own. The toddy cloth also has a bacterial protection in the cloth. I got a three pack off E Bay for around $10.00 it was a pretty good deal since I've seen single cloths costing that much.

☮♥

Most reactions

Latest posts