What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert Your Videos - Idiot Proof (Windows)

thomo45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I am a proper newbie at this. This guide is perfect for me, i just want a hassle easy way to get a DVD from disk to my I pad. Reading your guide I see you refer to the film or file being on your p.c. already and not ripping it directly from the disk.

What do you recommend in order to get the file from the DVD onto my pc in order to use format factory to convert ready for syncing to my iPad.

Will ff not just rip directly from the DVD ?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had FF rip directly off a non-protected DVD.

I usually use DVD Shrink or DVD Fab to get rip the movie off the DVD and onto the hard drive if the DVD is protected, than I use Format Factory and the movies look great on my iPad!

thomo45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any chance you can give a quick summary on what settings I need to use in order to rip the DVD to my hard drive before following the FF guide to convert to Ipad format.

Many thanks

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any chance you can give a quick summary on what settings I need to use in order to rip the DVD to my hard drive before following the FF guide to convert to Ipad format.

Many thanks

For example, this morning, I used DVD Shrink to transfer a movie from a DVD. The DVD didn't actually need to be shrunk as it was only 4.33GB in size.

DVD Shrink put those files into a folder on my hard drive, inside a video_ts folder.

I opened up FF, selected "DVD to Video File" and when that window opened, pointed FF towards the video_ts folder and had it convert those files to an mp4 with the specs the iPad likes.

Can't give you those specs now as FF is still converting the files to an mp4.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded this, and found it had a specific iPad setting. 1st rip from a 720p MKV file would not play at default settings.....trying a different file now....

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tried a 2nd file, and it will not sync to my iPad either as itunes states it won't play. This is usung the default iPad settings on ver 2.45 of Format Factory.

I also noticed the file size is about 1/2 the size of Handbrake files as well....

Trying again with size and bit-rate set to default overriding default iPad settings.

Last edited:

60DegreeVVT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well... i am an idiot so i hope that his works good for me.

i too noticed that i had the iPad video setting so i am trying it. i am converting an AVI... I will report back in about 20 min.

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just FYI, FormatFactory now has an iPad default setting. I recommend NOT using it for a whole host of reasons. Stick to my tips for perfect conversion :)

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used the new Format Factory iPad setting and also found it wouldn't play on my iPad.

I changed the output setting to "default" for the aspect/size and to 2400 for the bitrate.

These changes made the videos playable on my iPad and they look great!

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mate, thanks for all of the info sharing;

HOWEVER

What am i MISSING?

I juist added CineXPlayer for free, dumped a .avi movie into iTunes, sync, and I am now watching it on iPad without going through any conversion process!

Why convert if there are programs like CineXPlayer that will play the .avi without the conversion process?

Thanks,

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mate, thanks for all of the info sharing;

HOWEVER

What am i MISSING?

I juist added CineXPlayer for free, dumped a .avi movie into iTunes, sync, and I am now watching it on iPad without going through any conversion process!

Why convert if there are programs like CineXPlayer that will play the .avi without the conversion process?

Thanks,
You are missing a couple of things. First, this thread was started a long time before CineXPlayer was released, and so it wasn't an option. Second, I have installed CineXPlayer and I have a bunch of .avi movies on my desktop. So far I have had a very low success rate with CineXPlayer being able to play my .avi files. Much lower than my success rate with either Format Factory or Handbrake.

dannyyoung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am backing up my dvd's to watch on my iPad - using DVD Decrypter, then Joinvobfiles, and then Format Factory. I have noticed that some of the resulting mp4 files are much smaller than the sum total of the vob files that are presented by DVD Decrypter, for example one DVD resulted in a 5 minute mp4.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks for reading.

Most reactions

Latest posts