What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert videos to ipad?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For $29.95(USD), I bought and use Cucusoft's DVD to iPad Converter.

Yeah, it's not free, but it almost point-click-use simple. It has worked so far on any DVD I've thrown at it, from old ones to new.

It's just that Handbrake is so hard to understand/use... [/end whine].

As always, YMMV.

Marilyn

Ryan82474

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked for a software to do video capture from my cable DVR using haupagell HDPVR box (bought from best buy) but can't find anything that captures video directly to IPad format. Converters are a dime a dozen but take so long. There has to be something that captures directly to iPad format.
The best converter I found is videopad editor. I take the MPEG-4 video created during capture import it to the editor and save as MPEG-4 with correct resolution, and frames per sec. It takes about 60 minutes to convert a 22 minute cartoon on an old Sony vaio.
Cucusoft is great for converting dvds and is quick. I tried handbrake but it is slow.

treker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MakeMKV and Format Factory Work Great and Fast

Step 1. I use MakeMKV to rip and decrypt dvd and create a single file instead of a dozen or more vob files. It also makes TV shows with several episodes on a dvd into a separate file for easy ipad selection and viewing. On my hexacore PC it takes about 12 mins for a two hour movie.
Step 2. Use Format Factory (using Numblock guide he posted earlier in another video conversion thread) set to Mobile Device 640x480AVC Default. This also takes about 13 mins for the 2 hr movie file made from MakeMKV.

Total time less than 1/2 hr and I end up with about a 1 gb mp4 file that looks very good.
And the best thing: BOTH programs are FREE!

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i've got if down to an art now :)

rip the dvd to the hard drive using dvd shrink, then convert to ipad format using handbreak. all free softwares, works every time.

process for a typical 2 hour movie takes me under 45 mins :)

KurtWagner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey guys
I usually use videora to convert videos to my iphone/ipod, but when i use it for the ipad, the videos come out looking pretty bad because there is no option to convert to ipad resolution (which is higher than iphone/ipod obviously)

anyone found a program that converts videos to ipad resolution?

perian plug in on your mac

saguaro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right now for a limited time, the How-To Geek page is offering MacX DVD ripper with a free license code:

I downloaded it and activated it but haven't tried it yet. Despite the name, it works on windows as well.

Since I need 3 posts to post a link, it will be in the next post.

Samuelchua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the videora iPad convert (free).

Anyone knows how to cut away the black bars from the top and bottom of those movies ripped in 16:9? I see apple always showing the movies off their iPad advert in 'full screen' videos.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I am using the videora iPad convert (free).

Anyone knows how to cut away the black bars from the top and bottom of those movies ripped in 16:9? I see apple always showing the movies off their iPad advert in 'full screen' videos.

thats either because either the film wasn't in 16.9 or they've double tapped and zoomed in full.

Most reactions

Latest posts