What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Controlling Laptop with Ipad?

Jimmythedude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a tech newbie and struggling to find an answer to my question so please bare with me!

What I want to be able to do, is to have my laptop conncted to my TV via an HDMI cable, and then to be able to sit on the sofa using my iPad to control said laptop. I don't want or need to be able to view my laptop on my iPad, I just want to use the iPad to control the mouse and keyboard so that I can view my movies etc on my TV without having to keep going over to the laptop and doing it from there... Is this possible and if so how? I don't have broadband but do have a netgear wireless router. Is there a way that I could connect the iPad, and the laptop to my netgear router even without it being used for internet, just so that they can be connected to each other for this one purpose?

Thank you for any suggestions..

Jimmy.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"Touch mouse" app by Logitech, it's free but specifically for the iPhone so click on the iPhone tab when searching in the App Store. It basically allows you to control the mouse and keyboard from your idevice. You just need to install the driver/software on your pc.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Or you can get Teamviewer or Splashtop. These are free for private use. You install a client on your laptop you want to remote login to. Then you get the app on your iPad. Open the app, login to your laptop, then the screen of your laptop is on your iPad. Then you just do has you would do on your laptop. I use this to control my work PC from home...I can read emails, surface the web, etc.

You probably want to figure out what you like best among these choices.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a tech newbie and struggling to find an answer to my question so please bare with me!

What I want to be able to do, is to have my laptop conncted to my TV via an HDMI cable, and then to be able to sit on the sofa using my iPad to control said laptop. I don't want or need to be able to view my laptop on my iPad, I just want to use the iPad to control the mouse and keyboard so that I can view my movies etc on my TV without having to keep going over to the laptop and doing it from there... Is this possible and if so how? I don't have broadband but do have a netgear wireless router. Is there a way that I could connect the iPad, and the laptop to my netgear router even without it being used for internet, just so that they can be connected to each other for this one purpose?

Thank you for any suggestions..

Jimmy.
I would recommend Splashtop Touchpad. It is perfect for what you're looking for, all you have to do on the computer is download the Splashtop Streamer client. It is an iPhone native app, but works fine on the iPad. You can also control the keyboard.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is an example using Teamviewer to control my PC at work. I'm doing this on my iPad mini and my thumb is serving as the mouse. Teamviewer is an iPad app.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think he's looking to view the pc screen on the iPad, more of a way to control the mouse and keyboard of the laptop using his tv as a monitor to watch movies. I've done this before, and using a Remote Desktop connection (splashtop) was just annoying, it messed around with the sound and resolution settings of the computer. A simple remote keyboard and mouse is preferred for this purpose.

Most reactions