What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contacts from Gmail to Ipad2

Sabasam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I bought my ipad (two weeks ago)the apple store moved my gmail contacts to the ipad using exchange for some reason only a few are now on the ipad i tried looking on the cloud, no help can you help me move the contacts from gmail to the ipad? thanks

pepito5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For this I've been using an app called Contacts Sync for Google GMail. You can find it in the App Store. Not only will it sync your contacts from Google to your iPad, but also the other way round if you need this, or will merge both lists, and you can choose to replace or to merge the cards for the same contact, etc. etc.. More importantly, it will keep any groups you have made, something the official Google Sync doesn't do. Easy to operate, very cheap, and extremely useful!

generalkhaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would first verify everything is normal on googles end, then delete the exchange account and set it up again.

Alternatively you can setup google contacts in iTunes still I believe.

jessbarney777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to do this when I got my iPad, too. I used these steps:

1. Connect iPad to your computer (Windows or MAC system). iTunes should open automatically on the computer, otherwise you can open it manually.2. Click your iPad listing under ‘devices’ on the left side of iTunes window.

3. Then click ‘Info’ tab and click to tick option ‘Sync address book contacts’.

4. At the bottom of the same screen, click to tick ‘Sync Google Contacts’ option and then click ‘Configure’ button next to it.
5. A new window will pop-up showing Google Contacts Terms, click Agree button on it. Then enter login details of your Gmail / Google account to start the sync process.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had to do this when I got my iPad, too. I used these steps:

1. Connect iPad to your computer (Windows or MAC system). iTunes should open automatically on the computer, otherwise you can open it manually.2. Click your iPad listing under ‘devices’ on the left side of iTunes window.

3. Then click ‘Info’ tab and click to tick option ‘Sync address book contacts’.

4. At the bottom of the same screen, click to tick ‘Sync Google Contacts’ option and then click ‘Configure’ button next to it.
5. A new window will pop-up showing Google Contacts Terms, click Agree button on it. Then enter login details of your Gmail / Google account to start the sync process.

I set mine up as an exchange account as well...that's what I read here on the forum as the only way to get Google contacts into the iPad. Is there an advantage or disadvantage of doing it either way?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Exchange account will sync immediately over the air (provided you have internet connection), so if you make a change in your contacts, its instantly reflected in your google contacts on the web.

Syncing via itunes will only update when you sync to itunes and not instantaneously over the air like exchange does.

I much prefer exchange.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Exchange account will sync immediately over the air (provided you have internet connection), so if you make a change in your contacts, its instantly reflected in your google contacts on the web.

Syncing via itunes will only update when you sync to itunes and not instantaneously over the air like exchange does.

I much prefer exchange.

That's a nice descriptor of Exchange, DefBref. Thank you! :)

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I much prefer exchange.

Thanks for the information...I come from the android world where everything is Google...it natively updates contacts, calendars, and bookmarks...I wasn't sure if there was a better way with iPad...

dbark1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pepito5 said:
For this I've been using an app called Contacts Sync for Google GMail. You can find it in the App Store. Not only will it sync your contacts from Google to your iPad, but also the other way round if you need this, or will merge both lists, and you can choose to replace or to merge the cards for the same contact, etc. etc.. More importantly, it will keep any groups you have made, something the official Google Sync doesn't do. Easy to operate, very cheap, and extremely useful!

This is a useful app. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts