What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connectivity issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last two days my iPad has been Suh-LOOOOO to connect, if at all. Both at home and at work. This morning I tried to connect to about 6 sites and never made it. I'm talking Google, MSN, YouTube, my firm's portal. Really frustrating! I get "Safari can't open because server has stopped responding." Who's server? I have 3G 16G but am only using Wi-Fi at the moment. At home I ended up standing right next to the router and things still wouldn't connect even though my WiFi icon showed max bars. Also, when I finally do get into a site, like Amazon, and move from one page to another, it's very slow; seems to take forever for pages even to re-load. I even made sure I only had 2 pages open in the browser thinking maybe my memory was struggling. I also turned off the location finder. What am I missing? I wanted to use the iPad for a lot of things but this halt in functionality is putting a serious crimp in my plans!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Reboot? Check that your iPad has a fixed IP address in your router?

There is an Apple help site, hopefully someone will provide the link.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would try clearing all history, cache, cookies and Turing it off completely. Wait a few minutes and turn it back on. Restart your router as well and see if they play nice then. If not it's genius time.

OP
T

TheMitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I connect to the network (router) just fine. Mine at home and wireless network at work. It's trying to connect to a site - like Google, or msn.com, it loads and loads and loads and then tells me the server is not responding - all the while Settings tells me I'm connected to Wifi.

DMad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheMitz - Were you ever able to get this corrected? I'm having the exact same problems and would love to know if you've got a solution yet.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As it says in that link, I fixed my problems by:

1) Switching to WPA encryption
2) Using a fixed IP address
3) Turning up the brightness and turning off "Auto"

DMad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As it says in that link, I fixed my problems by:

1) Switching to WPA encryption
2) Using a fixed IP address
3) Turning up the brightness and turning off "Auto"

In my router settings I see the option to change to WPA encryption, but it's asking for a passphrase and I'm not sure what that means. Plus, I'm afraid of creating a wireless problem for the other three computers in the house that use this router.

Also, not sure how you use a fixed IP address, but the one assigned to my iPad doesn't ever seem to change, even after I renew the lease.

Brightness is up and "Auto" is off, that didn't help on its own.

Any other ideas?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try the WPA encryption. You'll have to put in a passcode, yes, and edit all the computers on the network.

Sorry, but until Apple fixes this problem, we're all in the same boat together.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By reading some complaints on the apple website many owners are having Wi-Fi problems,my Ipad stopped connecting today,cannot use the apps store,mail,or my browser. If this is how the gadget is going to act it will be sent back for a refund by mid week,as I have only had it 6 days. My first and last apple,should have bought a mini notebook.The Wi-Fi on my wifes laptop is working fine,did I mention is was a Dell.
Disappointed,hacked off and p..... off you name it I have it.

Al.

OP
T

TheMitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheMitz - Were you ever able to get this corrected? I'm having the exact same problems and would love to know if you've got a solution yet.

Hi DMad - Sorry but my solution was to return it. I took it to the genius bar (the genius was unaware of any connectivity issues). I followed all the instructions I could find, including everything you did. It worked so inconsistently and connected so sporadically on a variety of networks that I could not in any way rationalize spending that kind of money on technology that was so random. I know lots of people love theirs and have had no problem. Maybe they got a bad batch and I got a lemon. Plus, I'm out the money for a MobileMe sub, camera connector, 2 covers and a stylus. I really, really wanted it to function but if it can't or won't connect - it's useless to me. I will watch the improvements carefully and maybe after the next one or two generations I will try it again.

DMad

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi DMad - Sorry but my solution was to return it. I took it to the genius bar (the genius was unaware of any connectivity issues). I followed all the instructions I could find, including everything you did. It worked so inconsistently and connected so sporadically on a variety of networks that I could not in any way rationalize spending that kind of money on technology that was so random. I know lots of people love theirs and have had no problem. Maybe they got a bad batch and I got a lemon. Plus, I'm out the money for a MobileMe sub, camera connector, 2 covers and a stylus. I really, really wanted it to function but if it can't or won't connect - it's useless to me. I will watch the improvements carefully and maybe after the next one or two generations I will try it again.

Oh, crap - I don't want to have to return it, I just want it to work!

I need to take it to a wifi outside of my house and see what happens, the thought is my home router is so old it doesn't support the newer technology, like an iPad. I've got a new one being shipped, but if this is going to be an ongoing issue from wifi to wifi, the price is simply not worth it.

Unfortunate, because outside of older-version iPods and my current iPod classic (which I love), this is my first real foray into Apple products and so far it's been a bit of a struggle. Which has been surprising given how much I've heard about Apples user friendlieness and easy usability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions