What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 Connectivity to WiFi

JGS14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16 gb iPad3, wifi only, and this is the first iPad I've had (though I've been an Apple Mac user since the early days). When I first connected up to my wifi at home, everything was fine. Ever since I connected to wifi at a friend's house, however, I haven't been able to maintain my connection at home. "Cannot Get Mail: The connection to the server failed." "Cannot Open Page" "Not connected to the internet" - and this is despite the fact that a good signal is showing. We googled this problem - found a lot of fellow sufferers - but nothing anyone suggested doing has worked. Any advice? Is this a bug? If so, will it be fixed soon?

Any information gratefully received -

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello JGS - welcome to the forum! :)

I would first go into settings and have the iPad 'Forget' your home network, then try to re-establish a connection; if not effective, then power recycle your modem & router, i.e. pull the power (or turn off if a switch if present), wait a while, then in sequence, plug in the modem first followed by the router - I need to do this about once a month.

If the above is not helpful and if not already done, 'Restart' or if of no help 'Reset' the iPad - directions HERE, if not familiar w/ the maneuvers - good luck and please post back your results; may help others!

tinahallmark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried the reboot, the restart, the reset on my ipad2 and nothing has helped. Once I changed the numbers on the DNS to match the # on my ipod touch and that worked for a day. Now that won't work either. I would appreciate any help you guys have.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Have a look at this link, I hope it helps you
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
J

JGS14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I've tried all of the above, and none of them worked. Resetting the router worked for about five minutes before my iPad once again lost the connection to the internet. From online searches - and tinahallmark's response above - I gather I'm not the only one with this (extremely annoying) issue.

Any further suggestions would be very gratefully received.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry JGS about your continuing problem and frustration - not sure that I can add much beyond the suggestions given in the linked Apple Support article provided by Leelai; I was going to suggest updating your router's firmware (helped me a few years ago). Just curious but does your iPad's Wi-Fi connect on other networks and can other Wi-Fi devices connect to your home network? Just trying to pinpoint the problem as possibly isolated to the iPad vs. the router?

Well, keep us informed and hope others will 'chime in' to help -good luck! :)

OP
J

JGS14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Giradman - I really appreciate you trying to help me. What's so mysterious is that the iPad was working perfectly at home until I took it on its first outing and connected it to another network - which also worked just fine. When I came home, that was when I noticed that it was no longer connecting to the internet, though it indicates that it's receiving a good signal. When I look under Settings/Network/Wifi, however, our network isn't ticked off - it just has the whirry circle next to it. So, I guess it's trying to connect - unsuccessfully.

The router's firmware is up to date - and all other devices, such as the computer I'm working on now, my partner's computer, our iPhones - all connect just fine.

As I said, resetting the router worked for about five minutes.
So, today it just so happens I'm going back to where I connected it away from home the other day - and my big idea is to 1) see if it still connect to that network and 2) if it does, to "Forget" that network. We'll see if that makes any difference.

This feels like the old days of Apple magic - when you used to have to open your chunky old Apple computer to jiggle the circuit boards and chant an incantation. You never knew what was going to work...

OP
J

JGS14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: my magic spell didn't work - not that I expected it to, as the network would have been forgotten anyway when I reset. But I was able to connect to the other network - download e-mails, etc., etc.

So I now officially have an iPad3 that works everywhere but home. Even though it used to and even though all other devices work just fine. Very, very odd.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've moved your thread to our Help Section where I'm hoping more members will see this and hopefully someone may be able to help you.

bossy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been having these problems, on and off for a couple of months now and must admit I'm sick to death of it. I've tried every 'solution' on here and from apples support forums and if any of them work they do so for a day or two before the dropped wifi returns. I'm talking about every 5-10 minutes or so.
We also have an iPhone and a touch on the go and they don't have the same problems, maybe just every now and then, but the iPad is becoming unusable as far as wifi around the home is concerned.
Apple must know about it because a google brings up thousands with the same problem but there is no acknowledgement that there is a serious issue.
Seriously, this problem heeds to be faced and we need to know it is being so. I've paid £400 for something that at the moment is as reliable as dial up. It's gone twice whilst typing this!

Ihateapplecomps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My girlfriend has an Apple I-pad. I would never buy such a product. She called me frantically one night that the I-pad would not connect to the internet despite it having full bars and all other computers in the house connected to the internet. Using Google to search for solutions, we came across the standard ones.... reset router, wifi, general settings, check MAC filtering, etc.... what we did- we used the USB cable to plug it into the modem and it connected immediately to the web, then we did a renew lease and it all worked. It was odd, I never saw anyone in e posts saying to just plug it into the modem... thought I'd say it worked. :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Most reactions