What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting to the internet

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...luckily there's a McDonald's across the road from the store which i tend to go in to eat at, do they offer free Wi Fi each time as long as you purchase something from the restaurant?
You don't need to buy anything to use their WiFi, but I guess technically they could insist you buy something since it is their for the convenience of their customers.

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll take a look at that link, thankyou.

I am absolutely stuck now.
I took it into the store which i purchased it from, it worked!
I can only think it isn't working at home because my router isn't that new?
I can't get a new router as my dad wouldn't let me saying as the one we have is good and not extremely old.

EDIT:
I have just updated my router firmware, it still isn't working! What else can i do!?
They won't give me a refund because to them it works.=[

Where it shows under the connection on the setting under Wifi, it only shows my IP address and subnet mask. Is it supposed to show the rest?

Last edited:

Timmah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll take a look at that link, thankyou.

I am absolutely stuck now.
I took it into the store which i purchased it from, it worked!
I can only think it isn't working at home because my router isn't that new?
I can't get a new router as my dad wouldn't let me saying as the one we have is good and not extremely old.

EDIT:
I have just updated my router firmware, it still isn't working! What else can i do!?
They won't give me a refund because to them it works.=[

Where it shows under the connection on the setting under Wifi, it only shows my IP address and subnet mask. Is it supposed to show the rest?
Do you have any other iDevice that you have? Or can get lended to you from someone?

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope. =[

I have tried entering my IP etc in, still wont work.

Timmah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope. =[

I have tried entering my IP etc in, still wont work.

Ah...you entered an IP? That may be the reason. The iPad will autmataclly get an IP from the connection, that doesn't need to be changed.

If you could for me, do a Reset Network Settings, and go back and connect to the network. If it connects successfully, you will see the wifi icon.

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reset it and got this:
IP - 169.254.253.208
subnet: 255.255.0.0

those are only filled.

It's changed again from the first.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just take it back to apple. They have wifi there and You have factory warranty make em exchange or fix

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's no apple store around here. If it works in Comet it should work here, and maybe i just need help with the settings as i get a feeling it's not right.

Timmah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dont change the settings when it assigns it to you. The IP and thouse settings should not be changed.

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought the whole lot had to be filled in, not just the top two?
I just don't know what is causing this problem.
my actual internet disconnects on my laptop occasionally saying it cannot respond to the dns, but when it's connected fine the Ipad is connected through to it too, so i dont get why i cant get on the net. I mean surely the Ipad should work once my broadband is fully connected such as now.

Last edited:

rainman4tech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like you need to enlist a slightly more tech savvy friend, the 169.254.?.? Is not a valid address and is just a filler that most IP stacks use when they fail to get an address. Something in your iPad to router connection is not all it should be, you mentioned it wasn't very but dad says it is it may be running no encryption, WEP encryption or WAP encryption in any case you have to know which to configure the iPad with the password. I would back up and look at the router settings and make notes encryption yes or no, DHCP yes or no ( if DHCP isn't turned the router will not pass a valid address lastly what password or phrase are we using. All of is comes with experience in router device setup but is not obvious to someone just starting out.
Rainman

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally got it working!
It was the WEP key. It must have been blocking the Ipad from connecting, i'm guessing. I did altering to the WEP and it works now.
Pretty simple really. Can't believe it's taken so long to figure out something this easy.

Thanks a lot for the help though.

Last edited:

zelizer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem. I've been watching this forum conversation to see what the resolution is. What is a WEP key? That may also be my solution but i don't know what it is.

Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts