What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confusion over Apple ID and multiple devices.

cliff5550

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We will soon be adding a second ipad to our Apple account but have ran into a confusing situation. We need help!
I registered my wife's ipod over a year ago and then registered her ipad about one year ago. I've finally folded and purchased an ipad 1st gen. for myself and will be registering it soon.
1. Is there a place in the Apple site which shows all devices registered to a specific id or email address?
2. Should I open a separate id and account or can we designate different devices for downloading different apps in the same account? I know with Amazon, our one account listed her Kindle as Vali's Kindle, my Kindle under Cliff's Kindle, and my Kindle Fire under Cliff's Fire, and we designate where an app or book was downloaded. Is there a similar setup with Apple?
Thanks so much.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cliff5550 said:
We will soon be adding a second ipad to our Apple account but have ran into a confusing situation. We need help!
I registered my wife's ipod over a year ago and then registered her ipad about one year ago. I've finally folded and purchased an ipad 1st gen. for myself and will be registering it soon.
1. Is there a place in the Apple site which shows all devices registered to a specific id or email address?
2. Should I open a separate id and account or can we designate different devices for downloading different apps in the same account? I know with Amazon, our one account listed her Kindle as Vali's Kindle, my Kindle under Cliff's Kindle, and my Kindle Fire under Cliff's Fire, and we designate where an app or book was downloaded. Is there a similar setup with Apple?
Thanks so much.

Just sign into the app store with the ID you are using on the existing iPad. You can then (and it's within license agreement ) install any or all apps presently resident on your existing iPad instead of repurchasing common apps. You can then set automatic downloads of apps from Settings/Store/Automatic Downloads/Apps to on and applications installed on either iPad going forward will replicate to the other iPad automatically.

You are quite able to set the new iPad up with a separate apple ID....even after installing apps from first iPad under existing Apple ID.

It's all controlled by what ID is signed into the Apple store on the iPad in question.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To be clear, you can name each iPad distinctly, but you would have all your devices logged on to one appleid and password. This is to enable your family of Apple devices to benefit from the apps/books/music/movies purchased under that one appleid.

OP
C

cliff5550

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, but I feel more confused now than I was. I don't believe I will want many apps my wife has, and vice versa. I'm sure what you say is true but I still don't know if there is one page at Apple which list each device we have, or will, have registered.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cliff5550 said:
Thanks, but I feel more confused now than I was. I don't believe I will want many apps my wife has, and vice versa. I'm sure what you say is true but I still don't know if there is one page at Apple which list each device we have, or will, have registered.

Once you delete them from your iPad they won't come back unless you download them again.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You register your device through iTunes to your account. Using iTunes, you can dictate which apps, music, pictures, video, etc., will be used in which device. Anytime you want to change the order of who has what, you do it through iTunes.

OP
C

cliff5550

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, all devices receive the selected apps and then you delete what you don't want. Wish Apple had Amazon method. O.k. thanks to all.

Most reactions

Latest posts