What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaints on ios6

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
K3, I remember a link you posted about iOS satisfaction. As I remember, the satisfaction for iOS 5 was like 7.75 and that for iOS 6 was 7.65, iirc. Also, satisfaction for iOS was a good bit high than for any version of android.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In general, iOS 6 is an improvement. I am not alone in wishing that we could have had a 5-row keyboard. That seems to me to be a glaring oversight. I think the only time I've seen the undocked or split keyboard mentioned on this forum is when someone has accidentally invoked the feature and wants to know how to get back to normal, so my assumption here is that Apple gave us features we don't want, and ignored those we do. I can live with that for now. I still prefer the iPad keyboard to the BB Playbook one, which is the only other tablet I have access to.

One of the features I like is the syncing between devices, but that's only of use to people who have more than one iDevice. Twitter and Facebook integration? I'm sure some people find it useful, but I have little use for it. The most important thing about YouTube was the ability to upload video directly from the iPad, and that hasn't changed, so nothing has been lost there. There are plenty of clients for YouTube that work just fine. Maps has been done to death, but I use a different app entirely, so I don't care whether the stock app is useful or not. It wouldn't do what I require, in any case.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K3, I remember a link you posted about iOS satisfaction. As I remember, the satisfaction for iOS 5 was like 7.75 and that for iOS 6 was 7.65, iirc. Also, satisfaction for iOS was a good bit high than for any version of android.

Yes, I can't remember where I posted the link, but it boiled down to higher dissatisfaction with iOS 6 than any previous upgrades, which was a distinction because Apple had consistently improved satisfaction previously. Overall, Apple still has an impressive record for customer satisfaction, in any business.

I use Android, too, and tend not to compare Android and iOS head to head for satisfaction levels, because I'd expect great variance with Android. I think any overall figure for Android would be misrepresentative, because there are so many manufacturers and devices. Even with the same manufacturer, you get great variances in any upgrade, because they don't generally upgrade all current models at the same time, if at all.

And I'd expect Android to vary greatly because hardware manufacturers don't control Android, and Google seems to run it laxly. When Android firmware probs crop up, there are generally a wide variety of causes, including carriers. Apple controls hardware, firmware and apps, and basically has carriers over a barrel, so the buck tends to stop at Apple.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I can't remember where I posted the link, but it boiled down to higher dissatisfaction with iOS 6 than any previous upgrades, which was a distinction because Apple had consistently improved satisfaction previously. Overall, Apple still has an impressive record for customer satisfaction, in any business.

I use Android, too, and tend not to compare Android and iOS head to head for satisfaction levels, because I'd expect great variance with Android. I think any overall figure for Android would be misrepresentative, because there are so many manufacturers and devices. Even with the same manufacturer, you get great variances in any upgrade, because they don't generally upgrade all current models at the same time, if at all.

And I'd expect Android to vary greatly because hardware manufacturers don't control Android, and Google seems to run it laxly. When Android firmware probs crop up, there are generally a wide variety of causes, including carriers. Apple controls hardware, firmware and apps, and basically has carriers over a barrel, so the buck tends to stop at Apple.

Personally, I prefer that the buck stops at one place. This is the very reason I left android for my phone. HTC, Verizon, and goggle were all up in my business and I never got a solution to a serious problem that basically made my phone unusable.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer that the buck stops at one place. This is the very reason I left android for my phone. HTC, Verizon, and goggle were all up in my business and I never got a solution to a serious problem that basically made my phone unusable.

I generally agree. But it's a tradeoff with Apple, because they make it hard for users who don't like Apple's answer(s) to do anything about it in their own. So if you regret upgrading, you're stuck, for example. On Android, you can downgrade, and you don't need the manufacturer's OK to do it. That works for some people and not others, depending on tech ability, but that's part of the appeal. In general, greater freedom comes with more responsibility and consequences, good and bad.

Because I like Android's flexibility but have limited tech know-how, I kept following developments till I found that what was on the market matched my ability level (and limited willingness to spend time messing about). So far, I've not been disappointed, but I purposely didn't join Android till I thought it was well enough baked for me, lol.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I generally agree. But it's a tradeoff with Apple, because they make it hard for users who don't like Apple's answer(s) to do anything about it in their own. So if you regret upgrading, you're stuck, for example. On Android, you can downgrade, and you don't need the manufacturer's OK to do it. That works for some people and not others, depending on tech ability, but that's part of the appeal. In general, greater freedom comes with more responsibility and consequences, good and bad.

Because I like Android's flexibility but have limited tech know-how, I kept following developments till I found that what was on the market matched my ability level (and limited willingness to spend time messing about). So far, I've not been disappointed, but I purposely didn't join Android till I thought it was well enough baked for me, lol.

The tech stuff on android is easy...just follow the instructions. There is no real skill involved those people seem to give themselves credit as though there is some. But I don't want to fiddle endlessly with my mobile devices, because I find that a poor use of my time. Mobile is about convenience, not work. I have enough to waste my time just keeping my PCs running well.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The tech stuff on android is easy...just follow the instructions. There is no real skill involved those people seem to give themselves credit as though there is some. But I don't want to fiddle endlessly with my mobile devices, because I find that a poor use of my time. Mobile is about convenience, not work. I have enough to waste my time just keeping my PCs running well.

Basically Android has reached my tech ability (follow instructions) and time tolerance (low), lol.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Basically Android has reached my tech ability (follow instructions) and time tolerance (low), lol.

I use android as well and simply choose not to root and rom, just as I choose not to jailbreak on iOS. Maintaining my movie server, the rips, the gigabit network, and the htpcs, and my actual desktop/laptops, has me tapped out on fiddly junk. I have other interests to pursue that offer greater personal satisfaction. Can't do everything with limited time.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use android as well and simply choose not to root and rom, just as I choose not to jailbreak on iOS. Maintaining my movie server, the rips, the gigabit network, and the htpcs, and my actual desktop/laptops, has me tapped out on fiddly junk. I have other interests to pursue that offer greater personal satisfaction. Can't do everything with limited time.

Agree. Priorities will vary with each user. That's why choice is important in the marketplace, I figure.

svdharadhar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That 10 percent comment makes sense. And I think too that this could have been handled much better. For example, apple could have just left maps as it was and offered its version as an extra app - that is in beta - for people to use if they want. It could have been a AppStore download rather than a burnt in app. Same with YouTube. Had they done just these two things, the complaints would be a lot less. I think Tim should have pulled the plug on maps. Why release an unfinished app on people? I would not have done that if I were a new CEO.

So, iOS 6 is taking a bit hit because of some poor decisions.

And some folks ought to check out some android forums for some perspective. I recently read one poster who claimed the upgrade to jelly bean went well on this transformer TF700 (one of two 1920 by 1080 android tabs on the market). But there is a long thread of users claiming the update didn't work for them. And JB is widely considered to be the best version of android available (which is certainly true in my experience).

Apple Maps is HORRIBLE compared to Google Maps. I am in India and the damn app can't figure directions to get to? Really horrible. Of course there's a way out by using the browser but I really miss the old Google Maps. Hope the Apple guys come round soon. Judging the status of Apple Maps the way they are, they are light years being Google Maps!

martinsm007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does it will be possible soon to downgrade my ipad3 from 6 to 5.1.1 or the jailbreak for ios 6 will come sooner?

Last edited:

tecmess

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone had trouble with their music since upgrading to I06. I have a few hundred albums stored on the icloud and with I05 could play any song from any album downloading them pretty quickly from the icloud onto my ipad2 permanently if I so wished. This was superb and worked so well. Upgrade to IO6 - few album covers now show and every album shows blank tracks. Also I can no longer update apps - everything just goes into Waiting mode with the annoying little circle constantly turning. How do I restore the music so that I can once more play any track I like from my icloud store?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
tecmess said:
Anyone had trouble with their music since upgrading to I06. I have a few hundred albums stored on the icloud and with I05 could play any song from any album downloading them pretty quickly from the icloud onto my ipad2 permanently if I so wished. This was superb and worked so well. Upgrade to IO6 - few album covers now show and every album shows blank tracks. Also I can no longer update apps - everything just goes into Waiting mode with the annoying little circle constantly turning. How do I restore the music so that I can once more play any track I like from my icloud store?

I've had no trouble at all with iOS 6 since I updated on the first day.

Most reactions