What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comex hired by Apple!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
samion said:
Apologies for being rude about comex (I didn't realise calling him what I did ws *that* rude but that's cool I accept it was negative!). It's refreshing to come across a repectable and friendly board where rudeness and flaming is stamped on immediately. Good work mods and thanks! It's good to know the same protection is likely to be extended to everyone - myself included - so I can write freely without expecting a harsh response hopefully :)

Back to my sincere thoughts... I was all excited about getting an ipad 2 and on the verge of buying one having worked extremely hard in the last few weeks with extra shifts purely to get my hands on one. Having been an avid iphone user and jailbreaker for years this news is now really putting me off and making me consider the Tab (which from what I see is superior in almost every department).

I'm no droid fanboy nor ipad/apple fanboy. I have no affiliation with anyone or anything and I'm totally open to go with either ipad or android. I just want whatever's best. However there is no way on earth I will buy an unjailbroken iDevice having experienced this horror many times with my iPhones, whatever iOS5 or future OSs will be like.

My concern is that with comex going over to Apple does this spell the end for iPad jailbreaks? Is it likely iPad 2 iOS5 will be unjailbreakable? My knowledge of the jailbreakers and methods etc is not that great tbh, so I don't know how much of a blow this is. If he is just one of a large pool of talented jailbreakers then there's not a problem I suppose but if he's the main man, this could spell the end for jailbreaking? And therefore spell the end for paying iDevice and iApp like me...

Any (polite and genuine) thoughts please?

Thanks! :)

I would suggest that whilst there exist devices and software to be hacked then there will always be hackers.......it's just a matter of supply and demand.

The Archangel

samion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers for your input mate. And by always being hackers I take it you mean successful hackers?

My worry is that with a hacker working for the other side now, he'll know all the tricks and block them. But then I guess the Apple lot have their own very bright folk and that hasn't prevented it so far plus I'm sure hiring hackers is nothing new.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
samion said:
Cheers for your input mate. And by always being hackers I take it you mean successful hackers?

My worry is that with a hacker working for the other side now, he'll know all the tricks and block them. But then I guess the Apple lot have their own very bright folk and that hasn't prevented it so far plus I'm sure hiring hackers is nothing new.

Crime prevention companies here in the UK have been known to hire burglars to advise on crime prevention measures but guess what.......people still commit burglary.

The Archangel

pEAcEmAKeR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is actually a bigger loss than we think. Comex (as well as other major devs) has a decryption tool that is needed for making the partition table writable*. If those tools get in Apple's hands, it will be really difficult to find another way to jailbreak after Apple patches it up. I posted on the iOSx2 Blog about it Edited by Moderator ~ no links to blogs!

*If you've ever bothered reading the text on your iPhone with a redsn0w jailbreak, you'll notice that it's making a second partition (after making the table readable). This is needed for the storage of Cydia stuff (Manage > Storage). My project, iOSx2, uses a similar process, except filling the third partition in with an iOS version. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My understanding is that Apple is making some additional changes in iOS 5 that will plug more of the existing security holes that allow opening up the OS today. I suspect that they already have this decryption code and know full well how to block this type of hack.

If they have successfully taken Comex out of the jailbreak world I'm sure someone else will step up to the challenge.

I strongly believe that Apple is taking a new and very aggressive approach to plugging the holes though starting with iOS 5. It will be much more difficult, dare I say impossible, to run iOS 5+ non-standard in the future and be able to sync, use iCloud services, the App Store, etc.

I suspect if you do jb iOS 5+ you will find yourself having to run completely outside of Apples environment fir all apps and services.

-t

Argyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see us running IOS 4.33 for quite some time.

That is ok with me, I am so happy to have a JB Ipad2... Grats to Comex.

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to an article I read today, he made over $55,000 in donations from his jailbreaking. I'm sure a large majority of the people who donated are wishing they had their money back.

And no, he does not have my congratulations.

pEAcEmAKeR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TC93 said:
According to an article I read today, he made over $55,000 in donations from his jailbreaking. I'm sure a large majority of the people who donated are wishing they had their money back.

And no, he does not have my congratulations.

People like Edited by Moderator ~ no reason to be rude. He is entitled to his opinion which he clearly stated, respectfully. Okay? ~ think that Apple is the bad guy and the hackers are the good guys, when the reality is that there is no bad guy/good guy. Did you ever bother to think that the iPhone Dev Team would not exist if Steve Jobs hadn't created the iPhone in the first place. And then I wonder why people always curse Apple in front of me.

Last edited by a moderator:

samion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's interesting that comex wants to JB his phone, is hoping someone else will manage it and has handed over jbm to others.

Also interesting that he's not interested in a career at Apple and just wants to work there for a year or so, if that.

All sounds odd.

Part of me is negative towards the guy and I think it's important that the JB community isn't *too* congratulatory for him jumping ship after he's received so much money from us because this might set a precedent that basically says we're cool with it.

But most of me does think he's done well and thanks him for all his JBing efforts so far. And the whole thing might inspire others to get into the hacking scene if it means they may get headhunted by Apple/other companies.

All the best to the lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts