What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coding on the iPad

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
see, Apple is the herd windows is the head of the herd.

but the Apple iOS has potential, and the herd doesn't understand they are heading in the direction the OP speaks of.

I love my iPad also,

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Come on you are playing with words, the site would not exist if Apple took exception to it.
Please give me your opinion to the original question.
Should Apple build a High Level Coding Language into IOS-8 ?

Yes, they should. I'd love to see that and would be the first one to purchase it or whatever was required. It would be an epic thing if it happened. How about a scripting language that allows some basic app development or something? There has to be a way.....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Right now Codea is the closest thing to what you want. You can write and run apps (inside Codea). You can even trade projects with other Codea users. What you can not do is create stand alone apps and run them on the iPad, all on the iPad.

Codea does offer a way to get your apps into the App Store; but you still need a Mac, XCode, and a developer license.

Two apps in the App Store that were written with Codea are Crabitron and Cargo-Bot.

Codea is based on Lua, a high level language similar to Java. It's focus is on physics modeling, but it can do just about anything.

There are a couple other apps that let you create code on the iPad (Java, PHP, Javascript, C), but they use a remote server to run the code. I don't remember the names of those apps off the top of my head.

Finally, there are web apps, the ugly step child of iOS. In theory all you need is a web server and an app like Diet Coda, and you could write anything you like for iOS; bypassing the App Store altogether. If you are not already a web developer, the learning curve for this is probably even steeper than XCode.

Most reactions

Latest posts