What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clueless old fart iPad Air owner needs with downloading tv shows

mtlycrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forums and need help. I've spent the entire day researching the web trying to resolve my problem with no success and am really frustrated. Technology intimidates me.

I recently downloaded free tv shows and movies from Amazon Prime to my iPad Air. Consequently the storage is full. I'd like to transfer these to an external HD. I read an recent article stating the Seagate Wireless Plus HD allows you to "transfer photos and videos from your iPad to the Wireless Plus, freeing up precious storage space on your iPad."

I received the HD today and it doesn't "see the shows/movies on the iPad. Furthermore I can't even find the show/movies on my iPad. When I open the Amazon Prime app I see the shows and can watch them but they don't seemed to be "stored" on my iPad, at least I can't find them.

I know I can delete viewed shows freeing up space for future downloads but I travel a lot in an RV and access to good wifi for downloading on a regular basis is an issue.

So I have two basic questions:

1. Does anyone know where the shows/movies might be stored on my iPad?
2. Is it possible to upload the shows from my iPad to the HD for future viewing?

Thank you all in advance.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

When you download a movie, it’s stored in the Amazon Video app for offline viewing, as long as you keep it there. The file is nowhere else but in the app.
Additionally, the files are encrypted so that only the Amazon Video app can read and play them.

Long story short:
It’s not possible to load a film from the app to an external hard drive or transfer it somewhere else.

What the external hard drive can access, are movies purchased in the iTunes Store. It’s possible to load these to the HD and store them there.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
M

mtlycrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

When you download a movie, it’s stored in the Amazon Video app for offline viewing, as long as you keep it there. The file is nowhere else but in the app.
Additionally, the files are encrypted so that only the Amazon Video app can read and play them.

Long story short:
It’s not possible to load a film from the app to an external hard drive or transfer it somewhere else.

What the external hard drive can access, are movies purchased in the iTunes Store. It’s possible to load these to the HD and store them there.

Hope that helps.
J.A.
Thank you so much for a quick...and very understandable reply. I tell everyone to just talk to me like I'm six years old when it comes to technology. That used to be true 20 years ago. Now the 6 year olds know more than I do. :) I find it interesting that Amazon Prime has an app that can be loaded to an iPad or iPhone but not a Macbook. Anyway, your reply makes sense and is much appreciated.

Most reactions

Latest posts