What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Closing Ipad2 Applications

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New to the Ipad2.

Is there any way to either close each application after use or close down all open applications quickly

Michael

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New to the Ipad2.

Is there any way to either close each application after use or close down all open applications quickly

Michael

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

To 'close' apps, double tap the Home button and you'll see all the running apps. Now touch and hold *any* app. After a second or two they'll all start to 'jiggle' (Apple's word, not mine). Now touch the cross in the top left hand corner of those apps you want to close...

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Posted by Tim Spracklen
To 'close' apps, double tap the Home button and you'll see all the running apps. Now touch and hold *any* app. After a second or two they'll all start to 'jiggle' (Apple's word, not mine). Now touch the cross in the top left hand corner of those apps you want to close...

Hi Tim,
The above method works, but is there any way to close them all down in one fell swoop? not one at a time.

Michael

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not on a normal iPad. Hacked iPads do have a program to do this.

There's no real need to close these apps down though. Unlike a normal PC they're not really running but in a 'suspended' state. iOS 4 is not really a multi-tasking system in the way that PC people think and suspended tasks have a very limited ability to continue operating after they've been suspended with only a very few operations allowed - such as playing music.

So those tasks that you see in the multi-task bar have often been removed from memory by iOS and the operating system is merely remembering the 'context' (state) of the app when it was suspended, thus allowing the user to re-instate it in exactly the same state as when it was originally suspended.

Tim

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Closing Ipad Applications

Thanks for the explanation Tim, I was concerned about slowing down the Ipad with lots of apps running in the background.

Michael

Reaction score
There is a quick way to end all programs and remove their frozen states from the memory:
XSysInfo

This works on non-jb devices, so while this program essentially closes all apps, it cannot remove their icons from the Multitaskbar. To also remove the icons from the Multitaskbar, you would have to jb, but since the end result is the same, this optical inconsistency is not of any importance.

rocky1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you! It was driving me crazy to have all of the apps open.

Dream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having these apps open doesn't mean much, i've never shut a app down on iOS and I have never had any problems. People shouldn't really worry about this.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Having these apps open doesn't mean much, i've never shut a app down on iOS and I have never had any problems. People shouldn't really worry about this.

This is too funny. All of us Android converts are worring about open apps. I did to, i've been shutting down apps every couple of days so I don't run out of memory. I guess there is an advantage to the locked in, non configurable, closed, managed, Borg like Apple IOS.

No wonder my kids smerked at me when I told them they should keep an eye on their open apps on thier IPODs.

Life Is - Learning new things every day!

ArrozBasmati

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I have a problem with this "closing" apps thing...

I double clicked the home button, pressed on an app until the red (-) appears but when I click on it nothing happens...

I tried restarting some 5 times and even resetting it but it still doesn't work... What should I do?

Clockwork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is not only a matter of performance. You dont want obsolete apps in the task list because it is harder to browse between ones you use and ones you don't. Those are only annoying. Especially, when using the muti tasking gestures.

Sooner or latter aple will introduce a way to easily terminate apps.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zipur said:
I guess there is an advantage to the locked in, non configurable, closed, managed, Borg like Apple IOS.

I don't think the closed system is much of an advantage in this regard. I find that running many apps in the background sometimes interferes with with specific functions on particular apps so I find myself shutting them down basically all the time.

Somewhere I read that iOS is supposed to manage the closing of the apps in a memory efficient way but that has not been my experience.

Last edited:

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't need to get too concerned about the # of apps you have open. I once checked and I had >45 open and it didn't make any noticeable difference to the iPad's performance. Online games will be quite hungry, but most other apps can be left alone and you don't really need to bother with closing them.

ArrozBasmati

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It started working again after a few hours without doing anything...

The annoying part was not being able to take some of the apps off the list, it was driving me nuts :p some apps, like many games, were just occupying space in there!

Most reactions

Latest posts