What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning the screen

TheMitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple says NOT to use any liquid cleaner on the screen, just a dry cloth. Don't know about you guys but my screen gets reeeally covered in finger prints! I tried using just a cloth for cleaning my glasses but it really did less than a stellar job. I saw in this sight's store some iKlenz solution, microcloth and bag for $19.95. So is it or is it not safe to use lens solution and do I really need to spend $20 bucks? I know the coating may not take kindly to something like Windex but shouldn't any eyeglass or camera lens solution work? You guys using anything? Oh - and what about anti-glare protection? Just a few days with my 3G and I can see glare can be a bit of a hassle but I hate to lose that nice touch on the naked screen. Opinions?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a silk cloth i got with a pair of oakleys that works great.

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought Rocketfish LCD cleaner/micro cloth at Best Buy. I use an anti glare screen protector that does a good job but it does get messy with fingerprints and a regular dry cloth doesn't work. But the manufacturer says I can use any household cleaner on the shield.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just use a $2 microcloth windowcleaner cloth from Aldi. Works great and for about two months or so. Then I get a new one and use the old for its original purpose.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out 3M microfiber cleaning cloths. They have a smaller one that's for glasses and a larger one for tv's. I use the smaller glasses one and tuck it onto the apple case. Frequent wiping can help reduce build up.

Moparx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also just use a microfiber cloth and it does the job perfectly. The screen looks like new with just a few wipes.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a micro fiber cloth that came with my Monster flat screen cleaning kit. Never have a problem with it being clean. I also wash my hands every time I pick ip my iPad.

OP
T

TheMitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all. What about the the anti-glare? To or not to? Do you find it gets in the way with the "touchiness"?

cwisnoski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a micro fiber cloth I got with a tablet pc years ago, it works great. You can pick up simular things at any BestBuy or any electronics store. I have also, in a pinch, used the cloth that came with my glasses.

My $.02
CW

BuayaGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have any more issues with glare or fingerprints since getting my Steinheil antiglare shield.

Now instead of cleaning it every few minutes (glass), I only wipe it down maybe once a day or every other day because you just don't get those obvious fingerprints with a decent shield.

I've had this same coating on my iPhone for almost 2 years now, and I've never had any issues with a reduced touch sensitivity either on the iPhone or now on the iPad. The colors still pop nicely as well. :)

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered a glare free protector for my Palm Pre and now I'm getting them for all my devices, like my DS XL, PSP and also for the Ipad. I also got one for my husband's NOOK and he loves it. Nothing worse than being in a brightly lighted room and see your smiling face in the screen. They also don't allow fingerprints to form which is great on the Palm Pre. I was forever wiping it down but not anymore.

ayerbusiness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is really annoying to see fingerprints on your iPad screen. But I would prefer Windex in cleaning the screen of my iPad. It is safe to use and it is really gentle on my iPad's screen. I would just want to remind you that you must be careful on what solutions you will be using in cleaning your iPad because the iPad is fragile and I bet, you don't like to waste your money.

Most reactions

Latest posts