What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning the Screen

epoche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iKlean for cleaning my Mac Book Pro and 23" Apple cinema display for Mac Pro. However, found that best way to clean oil from fingers is with the black velvet-like cloth that came with my iTouch; no solution necessary.

Indeed although I cannot remember the name of the screen protector that Apple imbeds in the screen, but would think prudent not to shorten it's life with cleaning Solutions.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the Monster screen cleaning kit from Best Buy. I don't be using the solution with the kit but the HUGE microfiber cloth that came with it works perfectly. Doesn't even take any pressure to get the screen looking like new again... just a soft swipe with the huge blue cloth and all is clean.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A microfiber cloth and a solution of the following works really well. I also use this for cleaning bathroom mirrors which stops steam build up on glass.
Mix a solution of 1/4 pint of white distilled vinegar, 1.5 pint distilled water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice (no sweeteners or extracts) and 2 tablespoons liquid dish detergent non lotion. The dish detergent works to remove dirt and grime, and the lemon juice creates a sparkling finish while the vinegar stops steam build up and streaks. Fill a spray bottle to dispense the glass cleaner following the procedure. Now if you use your laptop in the Library a lot thin this may be the real tric... :)

Last edited:

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since the screen is essentially glass you can use water, no need for exotic liquids to clean it, IMHO.

Gayle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Microfiber cloth works great--as someone said just swiped it across and instantly clean.

mjeagent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just like someone else posted above, Monster Screen Cleaner is where it is at. I've been using this stuff for years on my expensive electronics and have been extremely impressed. It isn't cheap, but it lasts a long time. I've been using it on my IPhone for quite some time and it has produced great results. Tried it a few times on my fingerprint'd Ipad and it worked great also. I get mine at Best Buy.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dry microfiber cloth is your friend. 3M makes different sizes and grades. I bought a couple of small lens cleaning clothes just for my 3G. Funny how I'm buying stuff for the 3G and I don't even have a ship date yet. When I say funny I mean very sad.:( Ok, I'll go back to staring at my ipad dock now...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iKlean for cleaning my Mac Book Pro and 23" Apple cinema display for Mac Pro. However, found that best way to clean oil from fingers is with the black velvet-like cloth that came with my iTouch; no solution necessary.

Indeed although I cannot remember the name of the screen protector that Apple imbeds in the screen, but would think prudent not to shorten it's life with cleaning Solutions.

I use the cloth that came with my iPod Touch...I'm really surprised the iPad didn't come with one tho. Even the HP Laptop I bought a few months ago came with a microfiber cloth.

dks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
someone earlier posted the apple pdf info for the ipad... & it has a section on cleaning it... stating not to use cleaners, etc & just use a soft, lint-free cloth... because doing otherwise could affect the surface coating

(I notice that they even tell us how to 'hold' an ipad)

I will try to attach a screenshot of the info here....

Attachments

• ipad cleaning from apple.jpg
    ipad cleaning from apple.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 847

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mix a solution of 1/4 pint of white distilled vinegar, 1.5 pint distilled water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice (no sweeteners or extracts) and 2 tablespoons liquid dish detergent non lotion. The dish detergent works to remove dirt and grime, and the lemon juice creates a sparkling finish while the vinegar stops steam build up and streaks...

I'd be careful about using vinegar and lemon juice. Both of those are HIGHLY acidic. Over the long run they could have a bad impact on your screen.

Just my $0.02

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mix a solution of 1/4 pint of white distilled vinegar, 1.5 pint distilled water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice (no sweeteners or extracts) and 2 tablespoons liquid dish detergent non lotion. The dish detergent works to remove dirt and grime, and the lemon juice creates a sparkling finish while the vinegar stops steam build up and streaks...

I'd be careful about using vinegar and lemon juice. Both of those are HIGHLY acidic. Over the long run they could have a bad impact on your screen.

Just my $0.02
I have to agree with dennis, from all the press work up Apple said they came up with a new proprietary screen coating that will extend the life of the unit.

It may be all marketing mumbo-jumbo, but I have the ikleen or ikleer or whatever and basically just use the very cool huge microfiber cloth it came with.

I can use the solution on my powerbook as it was designed, but my new toy takes it dry.

TIMBO1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just had a wipe from Protechted. It has lots of pockets over the surface so it will not scratch the screen. Does`nt require any fluid at all and now my new ipad2 loks like new . You can use it on all types of screens as well. My wife has gone mad cleaning everywhere with it. Makes a change from her doing nothing so i can`t complain really.
I hope this helps

1096bimu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you read the mini manual that came with the iPad, it tells you just wipe with a piece of cloth. Don't use any solutions because it destroys the anti-fingerprint coating.

Most reactions

Latest posts