What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Virginia - Mountains & Environs!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pipestem State Park - Activities for our free day - Part 2

We wanted to do part of the trail around Long Branch Lake, near the lodge building - beautiful lake views below - boat rentals are available (which we don't do anymore - BUT, still take a LOT of boat tours, when possible); also, a fishing pier is nearby (see my pic w/ the catch limits - a state fishing license is needed).

Our last stop for the day was the Pipestem Golf Course for some cold drinks! I walked onto the course just for some pics of the first tee & the ninth green - beautiful tree lined fairways w/ mountain views - a deer was munching nearby; also at the end of the course's parking lot was a scenic outlook w/ some spectacular views of the Bluestone Gorge and surrounding mountains. Dave :)
Pipestem_E1a.jpg
Pipestem_E1b.JPG
Pipestem_E2a.JPG
Pipestem_E2b.JPG
Pipestem_E3a.JPG
Pipestem_E3b.JPG
Pipestem_E4a.JPG
Pipestem_E4b.JPG
Pipestem_E5a.jpg
Pipestem_E5b.JPG
Pipestem_E6a.JPG
Pipestem_E6b.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Bluestone River Gorge - Mountain Creek Lodge & Restaurant

On our last day at the Pipestone State Park, we took the 3000+ ft aerial tram to the bottom of the Bluestone Gorge for dinner at the Mountain Creek Lodge restaurant - pics below of the bottom of the tram terminus (square) - Lodge consists of 4 or 5 attached 2-story buildings as shown - wall air conditioners - kind of isolated except for trails (sure that there are other activities) - the Bluestone River has mild rapids and the only wildlife seen were several Canadian geese and a chipmunk - :)

The dinner was fine but not great - we would rate our 2 meals 3 1/2*/5*, so for those who may visit, the food is not great; however, I'm sure if one catches some trout or bass off that fishing pier on Long Branch Lake, those fish pan-fried would be quite tasty!

The next morning from our balcony, the gorge was shrouded in fog (last pic) for about an hour, then gone - kind of like the Smoky Mountains - well off today to the small town of Hinton, and then to our 3-night stop at the Resort at Glade Springs near Beckley. Dave
Pipestone_F1.JPG
Pipestone_F2.png
Pipestone_F3.JPG
Pipestone_F4.JPG
Pipestone_F5.JPG
Pipestone_F6.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pipestem State Park to Glade Springs Resort - Activities Along the Way

Well, we left the Pipestem Park about 10 AM and drove on HW 20 north to Hinton, WVA passing the Bluestone Dam, Lake, and State Park - map below shows the location - our other stops included the Sandstone Visitor Center (for the New River Gorge National River), Grandview, and our second destination, the Resort at Glade Springs (these are listed and indicated on the first pic and will be subjects of subsequent posts).

Hinton lies near the confluence of the New and Greenbrier Rivers and was an important railroad center in the first half of the 20th century w/ a population over 6000 in 1930 (see quote below & link) - this was the time of the timber and coal boom when railroad transportation was all important - this story is told in the quaint Railroad Museum in the town (couple of web pics below) - the Summers County courthouse is an impressive structure dating from the late 19th century - we ate a light lunch at 'The Market', a restored building w/ a beautiful tin ceiling. The Visitor's Center is small, but there is plenty of information/brochures on local activities and an informative guide.

We continued on HW 20N and entered the New River Gorge National River Park with our next stop at the Sandstone Visitor's Center - Dave :)

Hinton is a city in Summers County, West Virginia, which is situated along the New River just north of its confluence with the Greenbrier River. Bluestone Lake is located near Hinton. The city is about 28 miles from Beckley and 90 miles from Charleston. The population was 2,676 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Summers County. Hinton was established in 1873 and chartered in 1897. Hinton was named after John "Jack" Hinton, the original owner of the town site. Much of Hinton's downtown was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

HintonWV_1a.png
HintonWV_1b.JPG
HintonWV_2a.png
HintonWV_2b.jpg
HintonWV_2c.jpg
HintonWV_3a.jpg
HintonWV_3b.jpg
HintonWV_4a.jpg
HintonWV_4b.jpg
HintonWV_4c.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
New River Gorge National River and Sandstone Visitor's Center

The New River and the spectacular Gorge Bridge in Fayetteville, WVa has been discussed in the middle pages of this thread (so for those interested, please go back for a review) - despite its name the river is certainly not NEW! It is one of the oldest rivers in the world and predates the formation of the surrounding Appalachian Mountains; some of the exposed rocks in the gorge are over 300 million years old! - see quotes below from the link above.

The New River starts as two forks in my home state of North Carolina (mainly in Ashe county) and continues south to north into Virginia and then West Virginia, joins the Gauley River to form the Kanawha River which flows into the mighty Ohio River. The deep gorge, rapids, and beauty offer an abundant array for enjoyments, including some of the best water sports activities.

The Sandstone Visitor's Center operated by the National Park Service provides an outstanding introduction to this West Virginia portion of the New River Gorge - a lot of pics below - there is a short film, plenty of exhibits (some shown in my images), outside educational exhibits, and a small gift shop (although we bought a couple of t-shirts, a book on the New River Gorge and a frig magnet) - Dave :)

The New River flows through the U.S. states of North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia before joining with the Gauley River to form the Kanawha River at the town of Gauley Bridge, West Virginia. Part of the Ohio River watershed, it is about 360 miles (580 km) long. Much of the river's course through West Virginia is designated as the New River Gorge National River, and the New River is one of the nation's American Heritage Rivers. In 1975, North Carolina designated a 26.5-mile (42.6 km) segment of the river as "New River State Scenic River", by including it in the state's Natural and Scenic Rivers System.

Ironically, the New River is considered by some geologists to be one of the oldest rivers in the world, and certainly one of the oldest rivers in North America. The New River flows in a generally south-to-north course, at times cutting across the southwest-to-northeast-trending ridges and geological texture of the Appalachian Mountains, and flows directly across the Appalachian Plateau, contrasting with the west-to-east flow of most other major rivers to the east and northeast in Virginia and North Carolina, and on the west side of the Appalachians on the Plateau. It may have been in its present course for at least 65 million years. In the geologic past, the New River was a much longer stream. The last advance of Pleistocene continental glacial ice buried most of this river.
NRGorge_1.png
NRGorge_2.JPG
NRGorge_3.JPG
NRGorge_4.JPG
NRGorge_5.JPG
NRGorge_6.JPG
NRGorge_7.JPG
NRGorge_8.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Grandview - Spectacular Views of the New River Gorge!

After our visit to the Sandstone Visitor's Center, we travelled on I-64W to HW 9 - then headed north to the Grandview Overlook which offered some spectacular views of a New River bend around a mountain - the observation site is just a short walk from the parking area and really a MUST if in the area. Many of the pics my own, including the amazing panoramic images - the park is also noted for its abundant rhododendrons which were fading on your visit - the pics included are from the web. Next onto our 2nd destination near Beckley at the Glades Spring Resort - Dave :)
Grandview_1.jpg
Grandview_2.png
Grandview_3.JPG
Grandview_4.JPG
Grandview_5.JPG
Grandview_6.JPG
Grandview_7.JPG
Grandview_8a.jpg
Grandview_8b.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
John Henry - Steel Driving Man - Folklore Legend

John Henry is an African American folk hero, known as a 'steel driving man', as described below from the link. A variety of locations have been suggested for his feats of prowess, including the construction of the Big Bend Tunnel in West Virginia, not far from Hinton (but to the east and out of our way) - there is a statue memorial to this 'factious' character and a folk song has been sung by many over the decades (check YouTube) - the one linked below is w/ Pete Seeger - an exhibit was present at the Sandstone National Park Visitor's Center - Dave :)

John Henry is an African American folk hero. He is said to have worked as a "steel-driving man"—a man tasked with hammering a steel drill into rock to make holes for explosives to blast the rock in constructing a railroad tunnel. According to legend, John Henry's prowess as a steel-driver was measured in a race against a steam-powered hammer, a race that he won only to die in victory with hammer in hand as his heart gave out from stress. The story of John Henry is told in a classic folk song, which exists in many versions, and has been the subject of numerous stories, plays, books, and novels. Various locations, including Big Bend Tunnel in West Virginia, Lewis Tunnel in Virginia, and Coosa Mountain Tunnel in Alabama, have been suggested as the site of the contest.
JohnHenry1.JPG
JohnHenry2.png
JohnHenry3.jpg
JohnHenry4.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine & Other Activities

On our first full day at the Glades Spring Resort, the weather prediction was intermittent thunderstorms so we planned for some 'inside' activities - the first was a repeat visit to the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine (see quote below from the link) - this consists of a reconstruction of a 'coal town' w/ a variety of buildings, including a church, miner's house, bachelor's shanty, and other structures. The main ticket building includes a wonderful museum related to West Virginia coal mining - there is also a gift shop; many of these buildings (see pics below) are a part of the ticket purchase.

The highlight is taking a coal train into a previously working coal mine - the temperature is cool (the high 50s F) and water drips from the ceiling - our guide today was a coal miner for over 30 years and on stops along the way would explain all of the aspects of coal mining in these West Virginia tunnels, the work was strenuous, dangerous, and paid little - miners were paid in script (coins and/or paper) which could be redeemed only at the company store, often the families were in debt - seems like a miserable way of life (not counting the accidents and 'black lung' disease) - Tennessee Ernie Ford's 'Sixteen Tons' w/ the lyric 'I owe my soul to the company store' reflects this dilemma (see the video link below).

The pics are mostly my own from our visit today - did not get any good ones inside the mine, but can google and post from the web for those interested. BOTTOM LINE - if you are interested in the subject of WVa coal mining and are in the vicinity, then this is a MUST visit. Dave :)

Phillips-Sprague Mine, also known as the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine, is a historic coal mine located at New River Park in Beckley, Raleigh County, West Virginia. The mine opened about 1889 on what had been operated as a drift mine. Commercial development of the drift mine began in 1905 and the first coal was shipped on January 4, 1906. Mine operations ceased in 1953, and the property sold to the City of Beckley. The Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine opened in 1962, as the first historic site wholly dedicated to educating the public about coal mining. It consists of 1,500 feet of restored passageways and entries with 3,000 feet of vintage track. It reopened to the public on April 1, 2008. It is a preserved coal mine that offers daily tours and a history lesson on coal mining in Appalachia.
CoalMine_A0.JPG
CoalMine_A1.JPG
CoalMine_A2.JPG
CoalMine_A3.JPG
CoalMine_A4.JPG
CoalMine_A5.JPG
CoalMine_A6.JPG
CoalMine_A7.JPG
CoalMine_A8.JPG
CoalMine_A9.JPG
CoalMine_B0.JPG
CoalMine_B1.JPG
CoalMine_B2.JPG
CoalMine_B3.JPG
CoalMine_B4.JPG
CoalMine_B5.JPG
CoalMine_B6.JPG
CoalMine_B7.JPG
CoalMine_B8.JPG
CoalMine_B9.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tamarack & Daniel Vineyards

After our visit to the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine, we went to Tamarack just off I-77/64 - see first quote below and the initial 5 pics - as described, this is a wonderful and unique center featuring a wide variety of West Virginia arts, crafts, foods, wines, etc. The woodworking is just superb (an area of interest for me), but there are so many varied products - these are on sale - there is also an extensive food court which I've not sampled despite my 3rd or 4th visit. The prices can be high but the quality is just outstanding - another MUST visit if in the Beckley area.

Our final stop for the afternoon was a visit to the Daniel Vineyards, built on the site of a former golf course (evident to me from one of my pics below) - history below in the second quote along w/ other images. Susan & I have visited MANY wineries, but this one was somewhat unique in adapting grape varieties to the high West Virginia climate - one of the pics shows the grapes now being used in their wines - I'm familiar w/ about half of the cultivars, but all are basically American hybrids, so if you plan a visit, do not expect to find Cabernet or Chardonnay (or other pure European vinifera, i.e. not being used here) - we did buy 3 bottles, one was the pure blackberry wine for Susan. Dave :)

We envisioned a vibrant cottage industry in West Virginia for its state's artists, artisans, crafts people, and food producers, and our rich cultural heritage and artisan skills and traditions are preserved and strengthened. The Tamarack System will be recognized globally as a dynamic catalyst and premiere showcase for all aspects of advancing West Virginia arts, crafts, food products, and those who produce or perform them. Tamarack: The Best of West Virginia is the nation’s first showcase of handcrafts, fine art and regional cuisine. It comprises a warmly decorated retail store, working studios for resident artisans, a fine art gallery, a theater, A Taste of West Virginia food court, and the Tamarack Conference Center.

Daniel Vineyards, founded in 1990, is a family-owned grape farm and estate winery nestled in the stunning Appalachian mountains of southern West Virginia. Formerly a popular local golf course known as Twin Oaks, our 192-acre property boasts 30 acres of perfectly manicured West Virginia-grown grapes. Located at an elevation ranging from 2,500 to 2,600 feet above sea level, Daniel Vineyards is the highest vineyard in the state of West Virginia. At this location, winters are colder than wine-making regions such as the Finger Lakes of New York and the Alsace region of France. The milder climates of these and many other regions allow them to raise and mature grapes that colder climates such as ours cannot. This has presented a unique obstacle to grape growing, challenging Daniel Vineyards over the past 27 years to experiment with growing more than 114 different varieties of grapes. Through trial and error, we now successfully grow 15 grape varieties known as Cold Climate Cultivars. These hybrid and native varietal vines thrive in this climate, allowing us to create the world-class wines our many loyal customers have come to expect.
Tam_Daniels_0.jpg
Tam_Daniels_1.jpg
Tam_Daniels_2.png
Tam_Daniels_3.jpg
Tam_Daniels_4.jpg
Tam_Daniels_5.JPG
Tam_Daniels_6.JPG
Tam_Daniels_7.jpg
Tam_Daniels_8.JPG
Tam_Daniels_9.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine & Other Activities

On our first full day at the Glades Spring Resort, the weather prediction was intermittent thunderstorms so we planned for some 'inside' activities - the first was a repeat visit to the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine (see quote below from the link) - this consists of a reconstruction of a 'coal town' w/ a variety of buildings, including a church, miner's house, bachelor's shanty, and other structures. The main ticket building includes a wonderful museum related to West Virginia coal mining - there is also a gift shop; many of these buildings (see pics below) are a part of the ticket purchase.

The highlight is taking a coal train into a previously working coal mine - the temperature is cool (the high 50s F) and water drips from the ceiling - our guide today was a coal miner for over 30 years and on stops along the way would explain all of the aspects of coal mining in these West Virginia tunnels, the work was strenuous, dangerous, and paid little - miners were paid in script (coins and/or paper) which could be redeemed only at the company store, often the families were in debt - seems like a miserable way of life (not counting the accidents and 'black lung' disease) - Tennessee Ernie Ford's 'Sixteen Tons' w/ the lyric 'I owe my soul to the company store' reflects this dilemma (see the video link below).

The pics are mostly my own from our visit today - did not get any good ones inside the mine, but can google and post from the web for those interested. BOTTOM LINE - if you are interested in the subject of WVa coal mining and are in the vicinity, then this is a MUST visit. Dave :)

View attachment 82159 View attachment 82160 View attachment 82161 View attachment 82162 View attachment 82163 View attachment 82164 View attachment 82165 View attachment 82166 View attachment 82167 View attachment 82168 View attachment 82169 View attachment 82170 View attachment 82171 View attachment 82172 View attachment 82173 View attachment 82174 View attachment 82175 View attachment 82176 View attachment 82177 View attachment 82178
I went to something similar in Australia in 2010. In Ballarat near Melbourne there is a reconstructed gold rush town called Sovereign Hill. It includes a reconstructed mine that is open for tours and a whole town of reconstructed buildings that operate as an open air museum where you can get an idea of what life was like at that time. sovereignhill | Family Tourist Attraction, Goldrush, Fun for Kids, Day Trip from Melbourne

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I went to something similar in Australia in 2010. In Ballarat near Melbourne there is a reconstructed gold rush town called Sovreign Hill. It includes a reconstructed mine that is open for tours and a whole town of reconstructed buildings that operate as an open air museum where you can get an idea of what life was like at that time. sovereignhill | Family Tourist Attraction, Goldrush, Fun for Kids, Day Trip from Melbourne

Hi Scifan.. - thanks again for your interest in my travelogues - we've been down a lot of mines over the years, but the one in Beckley is the only 'coal mine' - a few others have included a copper mine in Bisbee, Arizona after a visit to Tombstone (Earp brothers, Doc Holiday, OK corral, and boot hill); also, on a trip to Colorado, we went down a gold mine in Cripple Creek.

Now, near our home in Mt. Airy (Andy Griffith fame), just a 40 min drive up HW 52, is the world's largest granite quarry and can be seen by astronauts circling the earth (see quote below) - we've never made a visit but might soon - always 'something' going on in Mt. Airy, especially at their local museum, plus there is a coop wine tasting bar/restaurant across the street. Dave :)

Not many states have a State Rock—in fact, North Carolina has designated the great Mount Airy quarry the Official State Rock of North Carolina. There are several reasons Mount Airy Quarry has been given this honor. It was one of the first commercial natural stone businesses in North Carolina. But more importantly, this was recognition of the many beautiful structures built from Mount Airy White that dot the earth.
The Rock, as it is known affectionately by local citizens, was once considered a white elephant when it was purchased in 1849 by Robert S. Gilmer. He was so angry when he found this "big white rock" on what he thought was a farm, that he insisted the seller give him part of his money back. So the story goes, that the huge Mount Airy White Quarry was bought for zero.
That was over 150 years ago, and we have been harvesting stone from this site since 1743—and will be, for the next several thousand years. The great grand children of your great grand children's great grand children will be able to design and build a building that will match exactly the one you built.
It has other interesting distinctions. Astronauts circling the world can see it from outer space, it is so big. It has been designated the "World's Largest Open Faced Quarry".
Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 9.09.56 AM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glade Springs Resort & Little Beaver State Park

The Resort at Glade Springs is huge, i.e. 4100 acres w/ numerous rental and private housing options, a number of golf courses, and many other activities - we stayed in one of the Executive Suites (see pic - about a dozen such buildings w/ 4 units each) - our second full day was rather leisurely - Susan had a 10 AM Spa appointment and I used the fitness center, all located in a separate building also offering a swimming pool, hot tub, indoor tennis court, bowling alley, and movie theater.

In the afternoon, we took a short drive to Little Beaver State Park - small at 562 acres but w/ a beautiful lake, pavilion, boat rentals, fishing, picnic facilities, and play areas - ALSO, nearly 20 trails of varying length and difficulty (see maps) - we walked partially around the lake. Tonight a light dinner at the Sports Bar & Grill, then back home in the morning w/ a possible stop near the WVa-Va border (if so, another post). Dave :)

P.S. Apparently weddings are held in the park and pictures taken w/ the small waterfall as a backdrop - Susan wanted to pose - :)
GladeS_LBeaverA1.jpg
GladeS_LBeaverA2.jpg
GladeS_LBeaverA3.jpg
GladeS_LBeaverA4.jpg
GladeS_LBeaverA5.png
GladeS_LBeaverA6.png
GladeS_LBeaverB1.JPG
GladeS_LBeaverB2a.JPG
GladeS_LBeaverB3.jpg
GladeS_LBeaverB4.jpg
GladeS_LBeaverb5.JPG
GladeS_LBeaverB6.JPG