What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging the iPad

pdhughes1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was told or read that charging the iPad is quicker if the iPad is turned off and charged through an outlet instead of through a computer USB port. My issue is whenever I plug in my iPad, I power it down first, then plug it in, but as soon as it is plugged in, it turns itself on and goes to sleep mode. Is there a power setting somewhere that I am missing or is this the normal mode of operation?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess whoever told you 'off' meant Sleeping. But otherwise yes, the statements are true.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I would suggest charge using ac adapter supplied. It is faster. Col

+1 to this... plus AC charging is more reliable as well... the iPad requires 10 watts to charge correctly, so many USB ports cannot give it the power it needs. It will still charge on a less than 10 watt USB (even if it says it is not charging) but it will take a loooooooong time....

Any device will charge faster if it is off, but the iPad does in fact still charge if on if it is getting the charging power it needs.

When it comes on as you plug it in, it is just telling you it is plugged correctly. It will shut off on it's own in a few seconds......

mrbrift

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad not charging

My iPad sometimes charges fast, sometimes slow (only a 10% increase in charge level over night), and sometimes not at all. In fact sometimes it seems as if plugging it in is actually draining the power from it.
I am plugging it into the mains, not a PC, and I am using a proper apple charger. It always says it’s charging.
I have tried restarting it (sometimes that works but not always) and have exited all the apps that were running.
Yesterday it was charging fine while playing music, but it then crashed out during playing a track, restarted itself, and then had the charging problem.
I suspect it’s software rather than hardware since the problem is intermittent.
It’s an iPad 1, now a year old.

Any thoughts? I can’t be the only one with this problem, surely?

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mrbrift said:
IPad not charging

My iPad sometimes charges fast, sometimes slow (only a 10% increase in charge level over night), and sometimes not at all. In fact sometimes it seems as if plugging it in is actually draining the power from it.
I am plugging it into the mains, not a PC, and I am using a proper apple charger. It always says it’s charging.
I have tried restarting it (sometimes that works but not always) and have exited all the apps that were running.
Yesterday it was charging fine while playing music, but it then crashed out during playing a track, restarted itself, and then had the charging problem.
I suspect it’s software rather than hardware since the problem is intermittent.
It’s an iPad 1, now a year old.

Any thoughts? I can’t be the only one with this problem, surely?

The iPad as said needs a stronger charger than the iPhones, you can get a free program called asus (something - just search this forum for asus). that increases the default power available from PC USB ports.

I suggest this as a way of eliminating a faulty charger

Most reactions