What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging Lead

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
Just had a nasty shock when I tried to charge my iPad 2, it refused to charge; first thoughts ......... a new iPad or an expensive repair!

I "Googled" the problem and found that Apple had made changes to iOS 7 to stop the use of some third party charging leads.

Yet another greedy ploy by Apple to make even more money selling £15.00 over priced leads.

I have 5 leads and now only one works and I need to have a spare, does anyone out there know of an inexpensive lead that will work!

Cheers
.................. Gerry N .........Sent from my iPad

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While Apple would certainly prefer you to buy official Apple charging cables, the desire for more profit is not the only motive here. Unlicenced third party cables and chargers have been responsible for electrocuting at least two people. Unlicenced cables could possibly cause problems in your device as well.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just had a nasty shock when I tried to charge my iPad 2, it refused to charge; first thoughts ......... a new iPad or an expensive repair!

I "Googled" the problem and found that Apple had made changes to iOS 7 to stop the use of some third party charging leads.

Yet another greedy ploy by Apple to make even more money selling £15.00 over priced leads.

I have 5 leads and now only one works and I need to have a spare, does anyone out there know of an inexpensive lead that will work!

Cheers
.................. Gerry N .........Sent from my iPad
Sorry I do not have another suggestion other than invest in the genuine article. If you keep paying out for 'inexpensive' leads then you may find that you have already spent more than what an Aplle lead would have cost. Please do not think I am being critical but it could be more economical in the long run.
:thumbs:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can get cheaper connectors, still certified by Apple, from reputable companies like Belkin, Griffin, etc. The supper cheap stuff is usually that way because they skipped out on the quality of components, build quality, and even safety features. This may not seem important at first, but as SciFan pointed out, people have been hurt using cheap knockoffs.

Here is an interesting article along those lines:
Ken Shirriff's blog: iPad charger teardown: inside Apple's charger and a risky phony

Most reactions