What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Not Charging

ConfusedPanda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will try to be brief. Been given an iPad by a family member did full reset and did so another couple of times because I had problems with signing in with my Apple ID (see below).

All of a sudden, the charger won't work in it. When I plug it in the battery icon doesn't show it is charging.

1. I know the charger works as it works in another device

2. When I plugged the charger into the problematic iPad it does initially recognise that a charging lead was inserted as it booted the device up (but a few times I have checked it hasn't done so, but has started doing it again)

I did another full factory reset on the offchance that would fix it but no. I have blowed and sucked hard into the charging port to see if there is anything else I can do.

OH, one thing which has just occurred to me: when I was setting it up I was trying to download from the App store. For some reason - and this happened a few times - when it asked me to enter my Apple ID and password it would NOT work. I changed the password in Settings and it STILL would not work. I am sure it said at some stage the device or ID is 'locked' (I can't recall which) - but it did still let me do a full factory reset which I did to just start again from scratch. Would that stop it charging and if so how do I alleviate the problem?

Annoyingly, for the full reset I performed just now to try to cure the charging problem it asked for my Apple ID password for the last Apple ID I set up and it worked!!!!

SO: is there anything else I can do and if the failure to charge IS because the device is locked somehow how do I get it 'unlocked' so I can charge it?

OP
C

ConfusedPanda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But SURELY if it was 'locked' in some way and THAT accounts for it, it wouldn't do anything at all? And it DOESN'T say iPad is disabled. Because I have reset it it, when it switches on now it goes into Welcome and setup mode.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it was locked to a previous Apple ID, it would be able to charge. So your problem is not related to the account you‘ve set up on this device before trying to erase it.

It will also start charging when you‘ve entered the wrong passcode (the password to access your device) too often.

Do you use the original Apple adaptor and cable, or different ones? Cheap knockoffs often account for charging problems.

OP
C

ConfusedPanda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi J.A thanks for your response. Yes, all the original paraphernalia and accessories were given to me (even the box!) so it is the orignal adaptor.

In addition she gave me 2 separate Apple leads to attach to the plug adaptor and neiter work with the errant iPad.

Last edited:
OP
C

ConfusedPanda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi J.A. thanks for your reply.

I did a forced reset for this model. It's still in setup mode at the minute with 'Welcome' appearing in lots of different languages but I held the power and Home buttons until it went off and the Apple logo appeared and it restartedwhich I think is the forced reset for this device (6th gen).

Still doing nothing when charged. I am gutted. My old device finally gave up back in October and I have been lost without it because I am ill and relatively housebound so it was used for shopping, banking, bills, everthing it was like a control panel. I thought I was back on track again. Sheesh. :-(

Because it is 4 years old and I only had these problems after I factory reset the device to set it up as my own (it charged before fine) I am wmondering whether this is 'planned obsolescence'.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Certainly not. I‘ve bought the iPad Air (1st generation) when it came out in 2013. A few years ago, I gave it to my daughter, who still uses it.
That‘s just one of the many examples I know from my own experience.

I have been using Apple devices for ten years now, and they never failed me.

OP
C

ConfusedPanda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's at least something! Is there any last resort to try or is it Game Over?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We‘re using the iPad 6 at school, so I can assure they are good devices.

If possible try a different cable or adapter, a different charging port, or a computer to charge your iPad. Maybe the reason is not the iPad, but one of the accessories.

Take a close look at the charging cables, especially take a look whether or not it is discoloured or frayed. If so, you‘ll need a new cable.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Use DFU mode as a last resort, if everything else doesn‘t help:

Or contact Apple:

OP
C

ConfusedPanda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, the cable is okay because it works in my old device to charge but I changed it anyway still nothing. I shall follow your last steps and thanks for all your help.

Most reactions

Latest posts