What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing gmail name

Apple Shortcake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm totally new to all this and have joined this site to get some much needed help.

Can someone kindly explain to me in simple terms how to change my gmail name on the iPad.

I understand I can't change the actual email address but want to change the name which people see when I send them an email.

I have googled and You tubed it but they only have directions for a computer, not an iPad.

Thanks heaps,
Annie

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Tap on your Gmail account, then tap on the Account at the top (where it lists your email address). The Name field is what you want to change.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447058564.398239.jpg

OP
A

Apple Shortcake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Twerppoet. I went to do what you said, except I have 2 gmail accounts and it is only listing my first one, not the second one.

Is there another way you could suggest to access the second one?

To be honest I don't actually need the first one but that was created and set up by my friend ages ago when she set up the iCloud on this iPad.

Arrgh, so confusing!

Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's also possible to change your name in Gmail's settings online (browser).

It's easier done on a computer. On an iPad, you'd have to open the desktop site, because Safari shows the mobile site by default.

Login to your Gmail account, and select Settings (1). Then tap "Accounts and Import" (2). In "Send mail as", you'll find "edit info" (3). Tap this.
image.jpeg

On the next screen, it will be possible to change your name:
image.jpeg

Hope that helps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have two Gmail accounts, and can get to both of them in Mail on the iPad, then they should both be listed (separately) in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. You should have had to add each of the separately.

If you did not, then you are probably combining the two accounts within your Google account (having one email address show up in the other). In that case you can only change the primary account's name.

If you are using something other than Mail to access your Gmail accounts, then you would need to deal with the settings there. It might be easier to simply do as Johanna suggested, though I'm not sure what relation ship the iPad's settings has to the Google setting; whether they will change each other, or whether the Name will remain different for each email client, or if Googol's setting will override the iPads', or vice versa.

Most reactions