What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing Device Name on Status Bar into an Icon?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My friend was somehow able to change the device's name into an small icon. Instead of the circled area, it was replaced by just a single icon. Anyone know how to do this? I don't have access to his iPad so I can't look at which Cydia tweak he used or if it's some kind of theme or not.

vf1G0.jpg

Thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just use the emoji keyboard for the icons (you can add the emoji keyboard in Settings > General > Keyboard). Then to change the carrier, just use SBSettings "more" options.

OP
willerz2

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I want to change it to a specific icon, could I still do it through SBsettings?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have said so if it wasn't possible... I've given you the clues to discover it for yourself... :) - Personally I think that's a lot more fun that having your hand held, but here you go...

Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards > Add New Keyboard > Emoji

then...

SBSettings > More > System Options > Custom Carrier > Press the Globe Key on the Keyboard > Select your icon(s) (and mix them with text if you want)

If you are talking about making it your own graphic, then you can theme the carrier area too, but this is much trickier that you would think. Plenty of good resources on it if you google, but I'm not sure what the process is for IOS 5.0.1 on iPad.

Last edited:
OP
willerz2

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To be specific, yes I wanted to change it to a custom icon of my own. Thanks for the prompt response.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be specific, yes I wanted to change it to a custom icon of my own. Thanks for the prompt response.

OK, that's clearer, you might want to look into Zeppelin on Cydia too. By changing it's in built icons you may be able to do your own. They are stored in /Library/Zeppelin

Most reactions

Latest posts