What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change Resolution on external Monitor

Mhoerl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has already been answered somewhere if so I can't seem to find it... I'm using my IPad Mini 2 (IOS 9.3.2) with an external monitor via Lightning to HDMI adapter. I have to say I really like this setup, especially in combination with my Apple keyboard.

However my monitor has a native resolution of (I think) 1920 x 1080 Pixels. Because the screen of the iPad is mirrored onto the external monitor I have quite big black areas on my screen on the left and right of the visible space (but also small black borders on the top and bottom of the screen. My question is if there is any way to improve this?

Thank you for your input!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The black bars are there because the monitor has a different aspect ratio than the iPad screen. While it might be possible to get rid of the bars at the top and bottom, the ones at the side will have to stay unless you don't mind cropping the iPad screen image on the monitor, thereby losing part of the image at the top and bottom.

OP
M

Mhoerl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So do have a suggestion on how to tackle the problem with the black bars on the top and bottom. They are approximately on centimeter wide each. And I have no clue why they are there.
This would be very helpful.

I don‘t know if this also has to do with the aspect ratio of the monitor, but in case it does, it is 16 to 9.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the monitor has the capability to enlarge the picture, you could enlarge it just enough to get rid of the black bars at the top and bottom.

16 : 9 is the same as 1.78 : 1 and the iPad screen aspect ratio is 1.33 : 1.

Most reactions