What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change in ATT Data plans

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't jailbreak, but I tether my iPhone by keeping it at 3.0. The price of $45 for 2 gig is more than I'm willing to pay to tether. And you can bet they will crack down on the unauthorized tethering. So, since I now only use the phone for calls and text I am looking at other phones for the first time in three years. :(

And I think it was stated in their press release that if you cancel your $30 unlimited, you can't go back to it. You would only be able to choose the new plans.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll lay odds-on that AT&T will discontinue even the grandfathered unlimited iPad plan very shortly.

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing when I read the news. I think it will be at the end of the year at the latest.

wkramer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G IPad "Rest in Peace"

I canceled my 64GB - 3G order today (due to arrive on June 17). It is classic bait and switch on the part of "Apple". No one can tell me "Apple" did not know what AT&T had in the works before the release of the the 3G IPad. I'm sure they knew and had something to do with AT&T grandfathering in current contract holders. If not they would have a slew of IPad returns to deal with.

By the time 12 months pass those grandfathered in will have their plans changed too (and no option of returning their IPad) or they will have made a deal to have unlimited data plans available again with either AT&T or other carriers.

No unlimited data plan means "Apple" will have a major failure on its hands. The 3G IPad "Rest in Peace".

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt any other carrier would want to offer data usage without limits on the iPad. I see a home wifi network finally in the works at chez nous.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
^So you're not one of those "glass half full" types, are you?

Currently, I'll stand pat with my 64GB 3G and unlimited plan. If the game changes down the line, then I'll make a move. Currently, I'm at under 200MB with 10 days to go before I renew again...

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what the usage equals

1 gig= 1,024 MB or 1,048,576 KB

On my Palm Pre I have used 116,000 KB in May so I guess the 2 gig plan would be ok. I will have to try it when we go on vacation or out of town.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll lay odds-on that AT&T will discontinue even the grandfathered unlimited iPad plan very shortly.

yep no contract means they could do it starting next month if they want to. The only reason they havent is to minimize public outrage.

bubbaba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The unlimited data plans was a big reason I bought the 3g IPAD instead of a MiFi device with only the wifi ipad. This along with the flexibility of not having to have it every month was a huge selling point. This is all taken away now, I either have to keep the plan up every month or go to the new plan if I let it lapse. This is really a major problem and I hope Apple does something about it. This was highly touted as a selling point and it is now moot.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The unlimited data plans was a big reason I bought the 3g IPAD instead of a MiFi device with only the wifi ipad. This along with the flexibility of not having to have it every month was a huge selling point. This is all taken away now, I either have to keep the plan up every month or go to the new plan if I let it lapse. This is really a major problem and I hope Apple does something about it. This was highly touted as a selling point and it is now moot.

I totally agree. The changes just aren't right for iPad users, though for phones I can see the changes being somewhat acceptable.

The iPad is marketed as a device for consuming content. Part of their sales pitch was the unlimited, no contract data plan, with the ability to go back and forth at will. Now it's totally a lie. If you want to stop your 3G for a month, you lose the unlimited.

I have no plans to stop my service, as I don't have broadband/wifi where I live, but what about others in my position, who now won't have that unlimited option? I feel for them!

sunking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
<RANT ON> I ordered my 32GB 3G on Monday from the Apple.com website (should be here by June 18th) and I have got to say that I am extremely disappointed. Like others have echo'ed here on this thread, the ability to go from a capped to unlimited plan, at will, without any contract or penalty was one of the big selling points for me when considering this device. Yeah, I have WiFi at my house and most hotels that I have stayed in offer it but I was really looking forward to having a true mobile device, with a screen that is worth a damn that I could use where I wanted, when I wanted without having to pay an arm and a leg for the service. Also, I paid a premium for the iPad with 3G. Looks like I could have just gone with the WiFi version...

Also, I just took a peek at the Apple website and they are still advertising the 250mb and unlimited plans there. Somebody should change that so there is no confusion for those of us that are not monitoring message boards or what AT&T is doing from day to day.

Looks like I will continue to use my Motorola Droid for browsing the web when I am not in a WiFi hotspot. </RANT OFF>

Oh...just a thought for those with an iPad in the pipeline...is it possible to subscribe to the $30/month unlimited plan (before June 7th) without having received your iPad? I might go for that....

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Complaints to Apple over this AT&T renege will be shrugged off to the carrier. Perhaps some customer outrage will, however, make Aple think twice about exclusive carrier arrangement.

thehatguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.greatthreads.com
So let me ask this question.

Do you think on the 7th if I sink the iPad this figure will change?
To date I haven't activated a 3G plan.

John

datarate.jpg

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems to be pretty clear that those who don't have it by the 7th won't have it after.

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just don't see it as all that big of a deal. Most people are going to save $5. It looks to me like the vast majority of pas 3G users arr WELL below 2gb per month. Mine was less than 1Gb, but not by much. A prepaid myfi will run you $50 for 1gb.

I have a feeling that a lot of the people who are complaining will see nothing but a $5 drop in their monthly bill. Yeah, the unlimited plan is appealing, but unless you are using more than 2gb, what's the big deal?

Oh, and you are not stuck with one carrier. The iPad is unlocked. Other carriers (tmobile) should be online soon. I doubt you'll see unlimited plans from any carrier... But at least there will be a choice.

Most reactions

Latest posts