What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chair holder idea

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thinking about where I would use the iPad a lot, I came up with a concept. A couple of 2" wide hard plastic straps in a J shape that would fit over the typical recliner arm, connected together about 6" apart. On one, a threaded receiver that a rod can be inserted. The rod could be used with fittings to provide a swing table that could tilt and pivot. Or a mount like the Garmin GPS ball mount modified to hold the iPad. An option would also be to thread a flexible arm into the receiver. I like the Gamin way of holding their Nuvi units and it would be easy to make a solid lower unit tray with shock corded retainers at the top.

The idea is something that can be moved out of the way when you get in and out of the recliner and can hold the iPad while you are on the phone, or doing something else. I looked at adapting something already made, but the only one I could find was for a cup holder.
51ddr4A-TBL.jpg

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Won't be long before someone comes out with something similar. There's a company called bracketron that makes holders for phones/ipods/gps units. I should email them and see if they are making something for the ipad.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen several similar designs, but they all go under the chair and do not move with the recliner. And they are expensive because they are designed to hold several pounds of laptop. The right idea may be out there, but who knows how long before it makes the market.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got a return email from bracketron that said they are "currently evaluating the iPad category". Im sure they'll put something together since tablets are going to be a hot product going forward.

Most reactions

Latest posts