What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Category for Uni Bin apps

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've made it a point to give Uni Bin apps special consideration.

I think Apple needs to put a Uni Bin category in the App Store for those of us who have iPads and iPhones. I think it would help foster the creation of Uni Bin apps.

In my book a non uni bin app would have to be pretty darn good for me to purchase it right now. But that's just me, how do you guys feel about it?

OP
X

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What the heck is a uni bin app?

The apps with the + symbol written for both iPhone and ipads and you don't need the x2 they look great on both screens regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

The apps with the + symbol written for both iPhone and ipads and you don't need the x2 they look great on both screens regardless.

Oh, your talking about the universal apps. I see no reason why their should be a category for that. They already split them up into iphone and iPad. universal apps show in both. Just look at the iPad ones.

OP
X

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Oh, your talking about the universal apps. I see no reason why their should be a category for that. They already split them up into iphone and iPad. universal apps show in both. Just look at the iPad ones.

I think what I'm saying is I'd rather look @ all universal apps regardless of category in one place. So all you'd see is a list of all uni bin apps. know what I'm saying. I really try to purchase one of those before I opt for an app that is device specific because I want to support the developers who create uni bins.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think what I'm saying is I'd rather look @ all universal apps regardless of category in one place. So all you'd see is a list of all uni bin apps. know what I'm saying. I really try to purchase one of those before I opt for an app that is device specific because I want to support the developers who create uni bins.
Call me crazy (my wife does all the time!), but I buy apps based solely on whether or not they have some value to me, not to the developer. To be honest with you, I really don't have that many "iPhone/iPod Touch-only" apps on my iPad any more. Many of them have already been universal-ized or have iPad versions available.

iPads haven't been out that long and this line between iPod versions and iPad versions will only continue to be blurred as time goes on.

OP
X

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Call me crazy (my wife does all the time!), but I buy apps based solely on whether or not they have some value to me, not to the developer. To be honest with you, I really don't have that many "iPhone/iPod Touch-only" apps on my iPad any more. Many of them have already been universal-ized or have iPad versions available.

iPads haven't been out that long and this line between iPod versions and iPad versions will only continue to be blurred as time goes on.

I only have one iphone only app on my iPad now. It was the old Memory release app from back in the day. Other than that the apps are either uni-bin or iPad specific. The iPad specific ones are not iPad versions of iPhone apps I have...I refuse to pay again for an app that I have on my iPhone.

If the developers didn't update frequently and then wanted to charge for a non uni bin version for iPad I passed them by.

If i had an iPhone app the developers created a new iPad/iPhone uni bin and then wanted to charge me again, I pass them by. I don't buy what twitterrifc is peddlin. I had twitterrific for iphone and they were saying the reason they were charging again for the uni bin because it was new and apple wouldn't let them. BS, because Notify ME which is now NotifyMe 2 is a new one and they didn't charge. So, I'm dumping twitterrific for a new uni bin or i'll wait for twitter for iPad but I will not be handing any money to the iconfactory EVER again.

I think you see what I'm trying to say.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand and yes, it stinks that there are developers would want to charge you again. For me, it depends on just how much I just gotta have the app in HD. If it essentially the same app as the iPhone/iPod version but in a larger format, then I say screw 'em and I'll stick with the iPhone/iPod version. But if there are some notable improvements and if they only want 99¢, then I might just be a sport and pay them their lousy buck.

The great thing about buying from the App Store is that there are actually very few unique apps where are particular app is the only one of its kind. There is almost always some alternative out there that works just as well for less money.

Most reactions