What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps for a dissorganised university student!

georgehowarth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, so I've just bought my Ipad, joined the forum, done my little introductary post and now onto the stuff I really wanna know..

I've recently started at uni after years out of education. The main thing I want out of my ipad is organisational and time management tools. I really want something which I can use to keep track of and organise all my uni work and timetables and especially something which will actively remind me of important deadlines etc..

I've had two apps recommended to me, these are Evernote and Things for Ipad.

Evernote seems to be recommended and talked a lot about on here and I've just downloaded it seeing as it's free. Thing is I'm struggling to see where to start with it, is it just a fancy note-taking tool? Fair enough if it is, but then how does it then intigrate with things that I think I really need like calendars, alarms, priority lists etc?..

Is this where Things for Ipad comes in? Would these two apps work in conjunction to give me the kind of thing I want? This one is a lot more pricey at £13.99 but if it's gonna help me I don't mind paying.

As you can probabley tell I'm a little confused by it all, I've looked at other apps and the choice is confusing me further! I think my main problem is I don't know how apps will communicate with each other and therefore be used together.

I suppose what I'm really asking is will these two work well together for the kind of thing I want and also if there's other options.. Or maybe just pointers on how to look at the whole thing, I'm not sure I really get the proper gist of how apps like this can work together..

Well I hope I've made some sense! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
George :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd suggest googling "top apps for students" or something like that. I remember seeing such lists online.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is likely you will need a group of separate apps that all do different things that you need done. One for calendar, alarms, and another for note taking and marking up PDFs. You can use google calendar and link it with you iPad (along with contacts).

Some apps to look at:

Good reader

Notability

Agenda

Pages, Keynote, and Numbers

There are many others.

Last edited:

localhost8080

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
jonathansblog.co.uk
id recommend evernote

it is a note taking app with handwriting thing built in, so you can write lecture notes old school, with pen and paper, then take a photo of them, add it to evernote, file it away in a subject specific folder

AND THEN YOU CAN DO A SEARCH ON YOUR HANDWRITTEN NOTES!!!!!!!

if i had an app like that when i was a student then id have had far more time to drink beer rather than reading all my notes again!

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends what subjects you study.

If you are studying subjects that involves loads of powerpoint presentations, then keynote is useless. It may be good (or even better) but I have never seen macs connected to projector screens by default. Sometimes, you can carry your macbook or iPads but not many places have such facilities for university students.

If you are going to use pdfs a lot, you could look into GoodReader or iAnnotatePDF. Both are great apps for pdf annotations.

Take a look at some notes app as well, like Notability.

Evernote is free in disguise. The free version gives you a very limited amount of data sync, which is useless to me personally so I never bothered to look into it. But you can get acquainted with Dropbox or Sugarsync like stuff to keep your notes in sync. You can do primary job on laptop and when you are on a computer, you can finalize the notes. I do something similar using Android tablet (iPad is primarily used by DS with disability so don't know notes program you can use there)

If you are a Science major and live on PubMed, then Papers is a MUST. Its a great app (and they give you student discount too so grab it as long as you are a student. But they will charge you for a major upgrade).

Let us know what subjects you study so that you will get more specific answers.

ArDev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not a student, but the self organizational apps are interesting for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts