What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Case with blue-tooth keyboard built in

galaxyfaraway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I just purchased a case with blue-tooth keyboard built in from Brookstone, but I still prefer the apple wireless keyboard.

I was looking for a good case to carry the keyboard and iPad, but the store didn't have one at the time.

I have two questions:
(1) Does anyone have the incase travel plus bag for the iPad and how do they like it, and
(2)does anyone have a case with blue-tooth keyboard built into the case and what brand and how do they like it.

I was hoping incase would come out with a case with blue-tooth keyboard built in because their products seem really strong and long-lasting. If they have, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I just purchased a case with blue-tooth keyboard built in from Brookstone, but I still prefer the apple wireless keyboard.

I was looking for a good case to carry the keyboard and iPad, but the store didn't have one at the time.

I have two questions:
(1) Does anyone have the incase travel plus bag for the iPad and how do they like it, and
(2)does anyone have a case with blue-tooth keyboard built into the case and what brand and how do they like it.

I was hoping incase would come out with a case with blue-tooth keyboard built in because their products seem really strong and long-lasting. If they have, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

I don't have it, but seriously thinking about getting this one from Zagg called the Zaggmate...they have one with and without a built in bluetooth keyboard. Looks very sweet...like the low profile of it. Holding out for a review, but keep your eye on this one (or buy it and review it for us! :))
ZAGG | ZAGGmate | iPad Case | Premium Aluminum iPad Cover with Keyboard

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the ZAGGmate, but you beat me to it, GiPad! I just posted my personal review over in Accessories forum, should you care to go look. Main theme: I LIKE it! In fact, using it now to do this posting...

Marilyn

OP
G

galaxyfaraway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both for your suggestions regarding the Zaggmate. And for your review Marilyn, I went over and checked it out. (Your review and the Zaggmate.) Now I know what I really, really want. (And am hoping I can get a refund on my Brookstone.) This forum is great and it's people like you two that make it so helpful! Thanks again!

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would you be using this case with a naked iPad? Are you paying $99!for a keyboard built within the case and no protection for the actual iPad? I have a pdair aluminum case which protects the screen and the back.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would you be using this case with a naked iPad? Are you paying $99!for a keyboard built within the case and no protection for the actual iPad? I have a pdair aluminum case which protects the screen and the back.

But the case IS the protection for the iPad ... when it's on. And yes, it is designed for the naked iPad (until/unless you add a shield to the front or the back).

For me, it's exactly how I want it, a "naked' iPad most of the time and protection for the most fragile part when I'm out and about. I DO have a skin on the back of my iPad, mainly for aesthetic reasons 'cause I don't like scratches and such (plus, that aluminum is COLD!). But, I wouldn't be too fussed if the back got the dings ... I'm mostly concerned about the front while having the iPad in my school backpack.

YMMV, but this provides enough protection for me. And, to have a front cover case/bluetooth keyboard combo, yes, $100 is a good price ... for me. Hope that answers your questions.

Marilyn

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Galaxy - What is it that you don't like about the Brookstone Bluetooth case? It looked like a good combo case to me so I'm interested in hearing your (or anyone else's) thoughts.

sandygail

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Case w/keyboard

I am also looking for a case w/keyboard but my main concern is the ease of using the iPad when I don't need to use the keyboard. On the Brookstone case does the keyboard fold to the back so I can hold it in my hand like the Apple case does? It appears that the case from Zagg cannot be held that way. Thanks, Sandy

OP
G

galaxyfaraway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went ahead and returned the Brookstone case. There were a few things about it that did not appeal to me. First, I was used to the strength of the InCase case I had been using with the wireless keyboard. In comparison, the Brookstone case appeared flimsy. Since there is no case with the Zaggmate, there is no expectation there.

Second, there is a flap that either got in the way, or added to instability while on my lap if folded back on the Brookstone case. This is in the front, and for me had to be moved so I could reach the keyboard while on my lap. The Zaggmate is REALLY stable on my lap in the landscape position.

Third, I was not used to the rubber-like keys.

But the worst for me, I could have put up with all of the above, were the fourth and fifth elements which were:

fourth: there is NO shift key on the right. I would have to stop and rearrange my fingers (I type the way we are taught in highschool, and type approximately 64 wpm) to capitalize the letter "A" and the "!"

fifth: the quotation key is in the wrong location. " ' " and " " " were located on the right side, but a row down and a few keys in (if I remember correctly.)

I use quotes frequently in my writing, so between this and no shift key on the right, I was unable to type freely on the keyboard.

These elements may not bother other people, but for me, since the Zaggmate has shift keys on both sides, and the quotation key is in the right place, this was the "deal-breaker" for me.

I am curious to know other's thoughts, as the Brookstone is definitely less money, I like the idea of the protection of a case (the Zaggmate scratches easily) as well as the protection plan Brookstone offers (there was no protection plan for the Zaggmate, at last through Best Buy). Also, with the Zaggmate, sometimes I have to "reconnect" the bluetooth and I cannot figure out what makes it work sometimes, and other times not. But overall, I like the feel and functionality (keyboard all there) of the Zaggmate much better. Additionally, the Zaggmate info on command and shift arrow keys by the Zaggmate employee was really helpful. Thank you! I like knowing that Zaggmate "lurks" and provides useful input and feedback from us back to the company. It sounds like an ethical company with high integrity and I'd love to apply to work there! :)

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGGmate Warranty

Our site will be reflecting this soon, but it is important to know that the ZAGGmate carries with it a 1-year warranty against breakage or defect. For instance, if your child ripped the hinge off, just call us and we can send you out a new one. That sort of thing.

Also, needing to Re - Pair your iPad to ZAGGmate would most likely be caused by old iPad firmware. The new updates have completely eliminated this. Apple has made some improvements to the Bluetooth connectivity. Just plug into your computer, start itunes and update your software.

Sorry to be "lurking" but we just love to see what real users have to say about our products.

Dream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our site will be reflecting this soon, but it is important to know that the ZAGGmate carries with it a 1-year warranty against breakage or defect. For instance, if your child ripped the hinge off, just call us and we can send you out a new one. That sort of thing.

Also, needing to Re - Pair your iPad to ZAGGmate would most likely be caused by old iPad firmware. The new updates have completely eliminated this. Apple has made some improvements to the Bluetooth connectivity. Just plug into your computer, start itunes and update your software.

Sorry to be "lurking" but we just love to see what real users have to say about our products.

How about a discount for ipadforums.net users? :D

sandygail

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think geek case

I just saw a case by ThinkGeek and the case folds to the back when you don't need the keyboard, not a bad price either...might try this one. Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday season! Sandy

Most reactions

Latest posts