What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car charger for iPad 3?

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a car charger that will actually charge (or at least maintain) the iPad 3? The one I use for my iPod seems to drain the iPad rather than charging. Can't seem to find any new ones at the usual stores. Any finds out there? Thanks.

Talk2USoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's been my experience in general, that using an adaptor straight from a cigarette lighter, is detrimental to my iDevices. May I suggest buying one of those converters that will give you an actual plug to use for your iPad's intended charger. They've come down a great deal in price over the years.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I bought a 2-amp Griffin Power Jolt from Amazon. It has no trouble charging my iPad3, even while it's playing music through the car stereo. Avoid the $4 cheapo junk, which either won't work or won't last. Griffin is a quality brand.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

OP
D

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a 2-amp Griffin Power Jolt from Amazon. It has no trouble charging my iPad3, even while it's playing music through the car stereo. Avoid the $4 cheapo junk, which either won't work or won't last. Griffin is a quality brand.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

May also try one of these. Thanks folks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The key here is reading the details on the adaptor and making sure it says either or both of these things about power output: 10W or 2A at 5V. More is better, if you can find it, but don't go with shoddy supper cheap stuff. If it melts down when you need it then anything you spent was too much.

Typical adaptors for smart phones put out 5W (1A at 5V) or less. While they will charge the iPad (slowly) when sleeping or off, they won't keep up with it while you use the device.

BTW. The new iPad (4th gen) is coming out with a 12W charger. I expect some 12W (2.4A at 5V) car adaptors will show up soon.

Last edited:

pink23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I buy a universal cell phone accessories Mall, this is no problem, I IPAD3 charge, even when it play music through the car stereo. To avoid the $ 4 cheap junk, either do not work or will not last long

Mscosmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Checkout the power chargers from Zagg.com. I use the dual usb charger and the sparq 2.0. Both work perfectly for my iPhone 5 and iPad3. On 11/26 & 11/27 the sparq 6000 will be on sale for 49.99. The sparq 2.0 is currently on sale for 79.99.

Sent from my iP3/64gb Blk using iPF :)

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a couple months ago i bought a car charger cost about $15 from amazon it has 2 lighter slots and 2 usb slots 1 contains 1A power and 2A power and it works awesome i love it much :thumbs:

Most reactions