What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't sync mp4 files to iPad

Anil_Trinidad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded some videos that were already in mp4 format. However, when I try to sync it to my iPad in iTunes, it tells me that the files were not synced because they cannot be played on the iPad. What should I do?:mad:

The files play fine in WMP, iTunes and QuickTime. I tried using the "Create iPad version" under Advanced in iTunes - it seems like it's doing something, and saves a new version in the Library. I can sync it after - but it shows a blank white screen (on both the Pad and in Tunes) but I can hear the audio. ggggrrrrrr!!!!

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anil_Trinidad said:
I downloaded some videos that were already in mp4 format. However, when I try to sync it to my iPad in iTunes, it tells me that the files were not synced because they cannot be played on the iPad. What should I do?:mad:

The files play fine in WMP, iTunes and QuickTime. I tried using the "Create iPad version" under Advanced in iTunes - it seems like it's doing something, and saves a new version in the Library. I can sync it after - but it shows a blank white screen (on both the Pad and in Tunes) but I can hear the audio. ggggrrrrrr!!!!

You might need to convert the vids to iPad video format. Try going to www.square5.com for free movie format/codec converter. Once u have it installed. Run it. Open ur file/movie in it. Then choose file format mp4. Then video format h.264 codec. Then custom frame resize to 1280x720 (HD TV 720p). Then press ok. U can rename ur file if u wish. Press ok. Then it converts. Then just import that vid into iTunes to sync. This was a wrk around to get movies into imovies but should fit ur issue also. There is a YouTube vid. Called How to format video to use in ipad1 and ipad2. By MyGreatIphone.

Or if you are Jailbroken, u can just get ifiles from Cydia. Then u can copy/cut/paste the vid into the media player of your choice. Good player, Oplayer, or VLC player are good ones that play way more formats thn default video player app in iPad. Actually, I believe, u don't even have to be Jailbroken to import ur movies thru iTunes into those apps. Those media players should be at the app store. iTunes desktop should be able to sync ur movies into those media player apps but I think u have to make it do it or do it manually. My jailbreak method is for doing everything within the iPad itself. With iTunes, u of course have to hook iPad to pc.

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

OP
A

Anil_Trinidad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. I didn't think that I would need to convert it to anything since it was already an mp4. Actually I use a little program called RipBot to convert files for use on the iPad. However, I have Oplayer (lite) so I will try that. Why didn't I think of using Oplayer before!! Thanks Demandarin. I'm not JB (at least not yet). I just haven't made the time to investigate whether I really need to JB or not.

OP
A

Anil_Trinidad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: I was able to sync the mp4 files to the OPlayer Lite application and it works fine! Thanks again Demandarin. I was also able to sync a wmv file and it plays fine on it too. However, the Lite version is free, and it appears as though it stops playing after +/- 1hr of viewing. No biggie - just start it back and scrub to where it left off...

Most reactions

Latest posts