What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mp4 won't go into iTunes

vbriggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have several movies in mp4 format that I put into iTunes to sync to my iPad. I have one movie that will not go in. The file is not corrupt because it plays perfectly through windows media player, but I cannot get it into iTunes. Suggestions?

Todd M

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has to be in a .m4v format. Use Handbrake to convert it.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's true that most .mp4 files will play on the iPad but some have copy protection that prevents it. As Todd M suggested, converting the video that's being uncooperative is probably your best bet. Handbrake is an excellent, free program that can probably take care of it and .m4v is a good choice.

That said I had a similar file that wouldn't work and ended up simply changing the file type from .mp4 to .m4v and it worked. I've no idea if that would do it in this case, but it's worth a try...you can always change it back.

FWIW, these are the files that the iPad generally supports:

H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format. Source: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Most reactions

Latest posts