What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't free up memory on my ipad mini

Metman99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I have a problem with storage on my 16gb iPad mini.

Using the "manage storage" option I am informed that approx. 9.2gb of storage is taken up by photographs and videos. I wish to free up this storage space but when I view the "Photos" I am informed that there are no photographs or videos. Therefore, I am unable to delete them and free up the space. So, the problem here may be more of unable to access photos/videos than a storage space problem, but the two are definitely linked.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, and is there a solution?

Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are there any photos in the "Recently Deleted" album in your Photos app? As long as this album contains images, they also count against your storage space. To get rid of them, delete them all.

Hope that helps.

OP
M

Metman99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there any photos in the "Recently Deleted" album in your Photos app? As long as this album contains images, they also count against your storage space. To get rid of them, delete them all.

Hope that helps.

Thanks J. A.

I checked this and there are definitely no photos or videos accessible on the iPad ( deleted items or otherwise) but the usage still suggests that I have 9.2 gb being used up by photos and videos, which is perplexing! I just cannot seem to access the things that are taking up all the memory, and which I want to delete. Thanks again anyway.

metman99

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope this will help:
Resetting your iPad. This won't remove data or change settings. It might help with your missing storage/photos. To reset, press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo. Release both, let the iPad power up on it's own.

If this doesn't solve your problem, connect your iPad to iTunes on your computer and take a look at it's storage there.

OP
M

Metman99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope this will help:
Resetting your iPad. This won't remove data or change settings. It might help with your missing storage/photos. To reset, press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo. Release both, let the iPad power up on it's own.

If this doesn't solve your problem, connect your iPad to iTunes on your computer and take a look at it's storage there.

Thanks for the extra advice. The reset did not make any difference but I will try the connection to iTunes as you suggest.

Most reactions

Latest posts