What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot upload apps to icloud

hrtaylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new Ipad and have registered it for Icloud etc, but when I back up, the apps do not go to the cloud. The only content on the cloud are contacts and calendar. I believe I have followed all instructions - any suggestions??:(

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you gone into settings and ticked the appropriate boxes for those things you want backed, up to the cloud?

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iCloud feature on your iPad is not for storing apps.Apps are automatically stored in your purchased list in the app store.If you go to the app store and click the purchased tab at the bottom of the page,every app you've ever downloaded is there,whether or not it's still on your device.You can view the entire list or just the apps that are not on your device by selecting the option at the top of the page.You can re-download an app that is in the cloud by clicking on the cloud symbol,then the download tab.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In other words, all your apps are listed in the Appstore under "purchased." If there is an app on that list that you do not have on your iPad, you can press the cloud symbol in the app cell and it will install the app onto your iPad. If you bought another app with another appleid, you have to logoff your current appleid and log back on using the other appleid.

As an example, I have three iPads. One is my first iPad and over time I have bought many apps. You can see in the picture below, I have 181 apps (YIKES). BUT not all of these apps are on this iPad, you can tell which app is on this iPad, by the word 'installed'. I have a second iPad that I use for my small business. If you look at the picture below, you will see business type apps. There is a cloud in the app cell. If I press this cloud, I will get to the install screen for this particular app. I can then install the app on this iPad. BTW, this is how people in the same family share apps across two iPads.

In summary, your backup to the iCloud is for primarily data files: music, photos, e-books, documents-->original to you. Things like apps and iOS are not back upped because you can find it elsewhere in the Apple world.

b84195ce.jpg

Most reactions