What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot Print to Samsung CLP-680DW

KaySee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad Model MD511B/A with OS 10.3.3 (which might be an iPad2 as this is an older device). I cannot print to the subject printer using this device although I can print using a MacBook Pro 8,2 with OS 10.13.6. The printer is set up to print via Wi-Fi on my modem/router. When I select a document to print on my iPad it 'sees' the Samsung printer and the device name is the same as the one that is 'seen' on my MacBook Pro. However, when I select 'Print' from my iPad the document does not print on my Samsung printer and there is no warning message to show any problem.

I then installed the HP/Samsung Mobile Print app which I downloaded from the app store but that did not work. When I clicked on the Print option it disappeared from view and gave no further options to print the document.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

OP
K

KaySee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The printer does not support AirPlay. However, i was able to print from my MacBook Pro via my wi-fi network and so should be able to do so from my iPad.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not necessarily. There is software that can be downloaded to a MacBook from a relevant printer manufacturer, which will enable it to print wirelessly. The same doesn’t apply to an iPad.

OP
K

KaySee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found the HP/Samsung mobile printer app on the Apple app store and there was no indication that it would not work on my iPad.

OP
K

KaySee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I will contact HP/Samsung support to see if there is a work-round for the printer compatibility problem.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another possibility is to use a Mac app like Printopia. This app will allow you to share any Mac printer with your iOS devices. It works with AirPrint. Unlike brand specific apps like HP Print, this will work in any app that supports printing. I used to use this in the early days of iOS, when AirPrint printers were still rare, and my main computer was still an iMac. It’ also has a few perks like being able to print directly to folder on the Mac (as a PDF of course).

The downside is that the Mac must be on and signed into for it to work.

Apps that support specific printers often do not support all printers of that brand. You need to research them carefully to make sure they work. They are also (mostly) limited to printing from that app. It’s rare that they can print directly from a third app. On the plus side, they generally offer more control over your printer than you can get using AirPrint. For instance, it’s almost impossible to use the scanner features of an all-in-one printer without the manufacturer’s app. I have HP Smart on my iPad just for the scanner support. I almost never use it to print.

There are a few apps that support multiple brands of printers. One of those is Readdle’s Printer Pro app. It’s a kind of middle ground between the manufacutre’s app and AirPrint support. Not as easy to use as AirPrint, and not as flexible as the manufacturer’s app. I occasionally use it, since it offers a few layout options not possible with AirPrint.

The key difference between using a printer with a Mac and an iOS device is that a Mac uses individual printer drivers for each brand and model of printer. They can be pre-intalled or downloaded from the internet. This allows a great deal of flexibility, but also complicates printer support.

iOS has only one printer driver (if you want to call it that). This is AirPrint. it requires the printer (or printer service) to be compatible. The trade off is that you loose a lot of flexibility for the sake of simplicity. No drivers, setup, or other hassles. Just get a compatible printer, and it works.

Well, in theory anyway. Manufactures can still make getting your printer on to the wi-fi network a pain, and often do.

OP
K

KaySee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. Sorry about the delay in replying but I have being trying (unsuccessfully) to contact technical support for the printer. The problem is that Samsung UK no longer support Samsung printers - support has been transferred HP. I could not contact HP technical support for my Samsung printer - I kept getting directed to support for HP printers.

I have been able to confirm that the printer is Windows and Mac compatible which is why I can print from my Windows PC and Mac Pro laptop. Foolishly I thought that Apple Mac compatible also meant it would be Apple iPad compatible but sadly not. As you stated above, the iPad is only able to print directly to an AirPrint capable printer. I have a work round to the problem: I email anything I need to print from my iPad to my Windows PC and print the document from there.

Most reactions

Latest posts