What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple ID Problem

robert1305

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my iPad 2 for a few months now and am well and truly addicted to it, everything works perfectly.

My wife showed an interest in an iPad2 so we purchased one for her, I set everything up for her and everything works OK except for one thing, her Apple ID shows my email, and my password when she tries to purchase anything or do anything that requires her Apple ID.

I suppose the problem arose when I synced her iPad using my laptop, the thing is how do I get her a new Apple ID?

Regards Bob

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had my iPad 2 for a few months now and am well and truly addicted to it, everything works perfectly.

My wife showed an interest in an iPad2 so we purchased one for her, I set everything up for her and everything works OK except for one thing, her Apple ID shows my email, and my password when she tries to purchase anything or do anything that requires her Apple ID.

I suppose the problem arose when I synced her iPad using my laptop, the thing is how do I get her a new Apple ID?

Regards Bob

If I may suggest - I wouldn't get her a new Apple ID. With one Apple ID, yours, you can share any apps bought with it. If she got her own Apple ID, you'd have to pay again for any apps of yours that she likes and wants on her iPad.

Using one Apple ID makes it cheaper for a couple to manage all purchases and makes it cheaper. Then, since iTunes recognizes the two iPads a separate and distinct devices, all you have to do is set them up for each of your preferences (keeping iTunes as the one, master account). You don't have to put everything on her iPad, just as you don't have to put everything on your iPad - just the apps you want.

So, I'd keep her iPad synced to your laptop, keep a common Apple ID and just pick and choose which apps to put on which iPad.

But, if you wish her to have a separate account, she can sign up for one. Then, you both will have to log in and out of iTunes to manage the account(s). And, once she gets an Apple ID - she just needs to go to the Store part of the Settings app, log out of your account and log in with hers. But, the key is, any app on her iPad that was put there with your ID must be updated with your (you have to log back on).

So, IMNSHO, it gets a bit complicated for a family unit to use more than one Apple ID. But, that's just me.

Now that I've muddied the waters a bit and thrown around some of my own opinions, I'm hoping that some of this helped. Do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

wayneh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also believe you can share an Apple ID but at the same time have separate iCloud accounts.

Most reactions

Latest posts