What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot get cellular data account to complete

geo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried since yesterday when my iPads arrived to register with AT&T using the sign up screen provided. I always get the same message asking me to validate my address. I have contacted AT&T and Apple Tech and was finally told by the Apple Tech to take it to the nearest AT&T store and maybe they could get it to complete. I took the 30 mile trip to the nearest store and the guy there went through the signup process only to get the same message. He called me a while ago and said he spoke to Apple and that I should call them back again. Thank goodness I have wi-fi in my home or I would have been totally unable to use my iPad.

Anyone else with this problem?

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine worked first try , though I did have to choose an address that is slightly different than my true address, but it was just a popup window asking about the difference. I'm used to this, as I think 911 records have my address listed wrong so it happens a lot. After that though it signed me right up. Good thing! I have no broadband where I live so I'd have no Internet on my iPad without it!

nzahr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no problems here either....it went through quickly the first try.....sorry you are having issues:(

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for he issues. I feel for u. Try going to apple and exchanging it. Others haven't had problems.. I have a wifi only verision and im going to try and get the 4g miff from sprint. Once 4g is available in ny

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More than a couple of users have reported that the 3G signup just wasn't working and there's no fix a technician can apply. Seems that it has to do with the credit card authentication process...one stumbling block occurs if the address input isn't recongnized by AT&T, or is different from the info on file with the card issuer. AT&T will have to apply a fix to thier servers, it seems.

That would SO bum me. Hope you get it resolved.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's something that I found on the Apple discussion forum pages:

History:

I received my iPad 3G on Friday, 4/30/2010.
Worked great, love it!! Then I tried to activate
The AT&T 3G account. Wouldn’t accept my credit
Card apparently because of the mailing address.
I live in a small town with no mail delivery. So
Apparently my street address is not in the USPS database.

Apple suggested a work-around
Getting a pre-paid Visa card and using that to
Activate the AT&T account. Since it’s pre-paid,
AT&T doesn’t care about the address matching. Then
In the AT&T activation process I can enter any valid
Street address that’s in an AT&T coverage area.

I did this, using my son’s address, and it worked!!
From there I just selected my data
Plan and off it went, activating my account.

Next, using the iPad, I accessed my AT&T account and
Changed my billing info (credit card and address) to
The one I’d been trying to use all along. It took it!!
All is well.

OP
G

geo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I might try the prepaid Visa or MC. I also have read that AT&T will not authorize if you are not in 3G area.

As for the iPad...I love it. Using the WiFi here at home it is just an amazing little machine. I would like to be able to take it with me....so AT&T and I will go at it again tomorrow.

Madjojo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received my 3G Friday and immediately setup AT&T for the unlimited; since then I have not been able to access 3G service. I called AT&T today and they informed me that they have no service in my area. I asked how I got setup and saw the AT&T service and they said I must have been getting connected through another carrier that 'piggybacked' to them. Anyway they now say I have no coverage but they have my $29.99. I asked how to cancel, they told me to go into my account, which won't let me access because I have no coverage; so then they told me I must call Apple. I called Apple and they told me that I had to get any issues with AT&T worked out with AT&T. Bottom line I paid extra, waited the extra time, and signed up for service to be told later that they don't have service in this area. I love the IPad but the 3G stinks!

OP
G

geo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update. Thanks to the article that figmo10 made available I finally got my AT&T service started. Granted it is not very fast out here in the woods but it is there and now I feel like my iPad is finally complete. I did just what the article suggested...went to Walmart and got a Visa Debit Gift card...got it registered...and then used my Mom's address (where there is full-time 3G) and it went through.

Thank you figmo10 for your help with this. Just made my day.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have 3G coverage where I live, heck I don't even have broadband at all where I live, and AT&T activation went right through first try. Have used 600+ Meg on Edge already!

SWdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps at&t should make their 3g network larger...

Even Sprints is bigger now!

chiffchaff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update. Thanks to the article that figmo10 made available I finally got my AT&T service started. Granted it is not very fast out here in the woods but it is there and now I feel like my iPad is finally complete. I did just what the article suggested...went to Walmart and got a Visa Debit Gift card...got it registered...and then used my Mom's address (where there is full-time 3G) and it went through.

Thank you figmo10 for your help with this. Just made my day.

I was having the same issue - the iPad account set-up would not accept my address because (as AT&T explained to me) the area I'm in is not served by AT&T. Funny thing is I DO have an iphone that's charged to the same VISA account, I just had to get an out of town number for it. Local AT&T service is provided through a partner agreement with local cell companies and works fine.

The work-around that was suggested by AT&T was to enter a street address from someplace where AT&T does provide direct service but that didn't work since the address had to match my credit card billing address. Getting a pre-paid card didn't occur to me until I saw figmo10's post. I am sooo happy now!

Off to get a pre-paid VISA and try this out.... thanks figmo10! :D

UPDATE: when I went in to sign up with my new prepaid card, I saw that they now have an option to enter a service address that's different than the billing address. So those of us with this issue can enter our normal credit card info and just use a different address (like a family member who lives in a city with actual 3G AT&T coverage) for the service address. Works great!

Last edited:

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad that I could pass along that info, geo and chiffchaff. Hope you both enjoy your iPad.

Most reactions