What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot enter DFU mode or restore OS

Qubit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I use Goodreader and I had acidentally uploaded a large number of documents which I did not want stored on my iPad via Goodreader's webdav interface. My plan was to delete them and upload only the desired documents so I deleted the webdav root directory which I had assumed was local to goodreader. Unfortunately, this made my device completely unuseable (as in the OS will not start). Perhaps this is some sort of anti-jailbreaking "feature" that was triggered by deleting this directory however my device was not jailbroken.

I first tried to restore the OS multiple times on multiple machines by putting the iPad into DFU mode and using the restore feature in iTunes 10.6.1.7 to reinstall the OS. This failed and errors 1601 and 1604 were reported. After trying this a few times, my device somehow ended up stuck in recovery mode and would no longer enter DFU mode.

I tried using the recovery fix feature of redsn0w to get out of recovery mode. However, it did not complete sucessfully.

Does anyone know if there is a way to reinstall the OS at this stage?

Thanks

OP
Q

Qubit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It shouldn't have been critical since it was a Goodreader directory and not a system file. Obviously, you shouldn't delete files that you know will brick your device. Your advice is not helpful.

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds like you should contact Apple for help. They work awful hard to make customers happy.

Most reactions

Latest posts